Thread: New to me Delta 768 10" bandsaw

New to me Delta 768 10" bandsaw

Picked up a nice 1/2 hp 768 the other day, will use with narrow blades for sharper turns as I have an 18" Minimax for the larger stuff. Its in fairly decent shape for being somewhere around 80 years old. I will do lots of clean up and replace all bearings (wheels, guides and motor).
    It came with steel guides, and I seem to remember that the bands rubbing against steel will work harden them or something like that.
    I'm not putting in Carter guides or any big upgrades like that, just want to clean up and use. I totally rebuilt an old Delta 14" BS some years back so I pretty much know what I'm in for. Actually it looks identical, only a little smaller. Anyway,
    should I change out to fiber guides? (I put ceramic lower guides on the Minimax, they're a little pricy.) Randy

Steel vs fiber blade guides for narrow BS blades, anybody??

Blog Entries
    I use fiber blocks. No worries about accidentally killing the tooth set when applying the wonky forces that scroll-type work imparts to a blade.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Pictures tend to create more replies.

If the guides are of the steel variety, you could substitute with Cool Blocks of the appropriate size. Some folks have even used wood guides with great success.

Contrats on finding a 768, it's a great 10" bandsaw. There is no problem with steel guide blocks, they work just fine. You could replace them with Cool Blocks or hardwood blocks if you're going to use a super-narrow blade, like a 1/8" o 1/6". But For 3/16" and wider blades it's hard to beat the the steel guide blocks. And I'm glad you aren't considering Carter guides, as I think they would be sacrilege on that saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Pictures tend to create more replies.
    Understand. I normally post pics, but can't seem to find out how to get pics from my new iphone to my computer, even after talking with Apple folks. It was easy with my old iphone.... Randy