Thread: Stanley #60 mitre box tune up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Stanley #60 mitre box tune up

Some years back I bought, or more correctly agreed to look after , a Stanley #60 mitre box from a widow. Money did change hands,but there was more to it than that. I got a chance to use it recently to cut some casing for a door. It was either it or lug a sliding compound bevel saw. I choose the lighter. duh

I had put new wood and base. And it looks like I cleaned one of long back saws. I don't remember but there now a lot I don't remember. Looking at the guides, they seem to be much wider than the saw. I know the #60 isn't Stanley's best, something like the Handyman level. Any tune-up tricks for this mitre box.

Blog Entries
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim

I looked at the two saws, one was 4 3/4x 23 1/2" , a Warranted Superior, but with the lion crown and unicorn. English ? I think that one came with the mitre box The other one, 5 3/4x 26", I picked up at the fleamarket was a Shurley Dietrich Atkins . A top of the line Canadian made one. I guess I got lucky .

Blog Entries
    a Warranted Superior, but with the lion crown and unicorn
    My first thought was it could be a Bishop medallion, but they had a pegasus.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My first thought was it could be a Bishop medallion, but they had a pegasus.

jtk

Just to set the record straight, the Geo Bishop medallion sports a winged greyhound

GEO BISHOP 49_crop.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Just to set the record straight, the Geo Bishop medallion sports a winged greyhound

GEO BISHOP 49_crop.jpg
    Oops, have to blame that on my old eyes.

jtk

I've seen the lion, crown and unicorn instead of the eagle on other WS saws.