Thread: Bandsaw crosscut sled

Bandsaw crosscut sled

What features should I add to a bandsaw crosscut sled? I would like to make one as an optin to use with my Laguna 18BX.

I used a metal miter bar and a 10" tall fence square to the blade with two gussets for support. I cut vertical slots in the top of the fence that F-clamps fit into to keep irregular round stock from spinning--wife needed 50 coaster and candle holders cut from tree limbs--and can square up the ends of turning blanks up to 14". I used left over 3/4" melamine MDF for the base, straddled the blade to catch offcuts, and extended ~12" beyond the table edge. I would add--on the next one I make--a stop to keep from cutting thru the fence. I dropped mine and it cracked at the kerf. I use a rollerstand to support the sled as I set up the larger rounds for turning. Works great and feels much safer crosscutting irregular stock.

I have an Incra miter gauge which I bought for another reason and don't use it for that anymore. Since the table on my bandsaw is adequate but not large, it is easier for me to use the miter gauge (which is very accurate since it's Incra). I don't do that much crosscutting on my bandsaw though. You can add whatever type of fence or support you need to the miter gauge (except if you're cutting small logs which you most likely will need other types of support that miter gauge won't give).

Matthew,

I used a similar approach to what John said. I made a hardwood runner and installed it on a 1/2 plywood base. Then fastened two triangular-shaped supports on a 1 inch plywood base installed perpendicular to the runner. Used ratchet strap clamps to secure round pieces.

Regards,

J.

John,
    A 10 inch fence seems rather large.

Hi Jacques, or Bonjour!!
    How do you attach the ratchet straps to the sled. May be more stable for large round blanks. I use shims/wedges between the base and the rounds but just jam them in and hold on tight. Thanks, oops Merci

Bonjour John,

I cut a couple of dadoes on each support, on the underside, and then slide the strap under the support. I did not use a tall fence and did not have problems with my last project. The task was to cut slices in 8 - 10 inch logs.

Hope this helps!

Whatever your design, just be sure your table is adjusted such that the blade is cutting absolutely parallel to the miter slot.

Hi Matthew,
    A 10" tall fence is--was-- too tall. Initial thought was to provide as much rear support for the turning blanks-- up to 14" dia.-- and with slots for the clamps and wedging to manage forward rolling things seemed secure. Helped a group from the local turners club cut up an elm log and discover the seasoned pros use a chain saw!! and they classify the mounting end of the blank as "close enough".