Thread: What is a 28 inch backsaw for?

What is a 28 inch backsaw for?

Okay, so I picked up a backsaw that has a fairly coarse 28 inch crosscut blade.

What is it used for?

Specifics: Gill son Swedish steel saw by Michigan Saw and File of Detroit. Never heard of them and no internet hits on them.

Blog Entries
    That is a good size for a large miter box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Kevin,

Like Jim said, miter box. That is the size in my old Millers Falls Langdon, I think.

Stew

Blog Entries
    I would refer to it as a mitre box saw.

Blog Entries
    Interesting side note, there is currently a post on the Stanley #2358 Miter Box that uses a 28" saw posted by Galen Dirks.

Here is a shot from the Stanley instruction sheet:

Three Sizes of Miter Boxes.png

With the space between the saw guides on such a miter box it would take a long saw to keep from pulling out of the guides.

One of my round tuits is to figure a way to make my 28" backsaw an inch or so shorter in height so it will work in a miter box made to use a 4" tall saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Funny, I’d appreciated and expected this was for a miter box. But this saw has some pretty coarse teeth. Those teeth in combination with a longer stroke, can chew through wood with some alacrity!

The saw shows no signs of being paired to a miter box, but it may simply be a NOS item.

So, until I locate a orphaned miter box, any suggestions on how to put something like this to use?

Should I build a an old fashioned wooden miter box? If I add a 15 or 16 degree slot, I could use it to cut the legs on Ken Hatch style Moravian workbenches.

Kevin - your use of the word alacrity made my day.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Blog Entries
    One of mine has been used often without a miter box.

If you try to pair it up with a miter box make sure you find one with a 5" capacity. Most miter boxes are made for a 4" deep saw.

jtk

If you make six dovetail boxes at a time, a 26-28 inch backsaw permits one to cut ganged tails all at once. Speeds things marvelously!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Not all miter boxes were used to cut picture frames. Picture cutting 20 or 30 6/4 oak stair treads with a 15 point saw every day or decking a battle ship deck with 12/4 teak. The was a need and still is for 8 point backsaws and large miter boxes.
    Jim

Jim K. Thanks for the chart of Stanley miter boxes. I had noticed the last one is for 28” x 5” saws.

For James P., I don’t have a power miter saw, so I was considering building a wooden miter box to cut some larger leg stock. Rather fortuitous that I have the need for this exact capability.

As for the dovetails, I have my larger Veritas tenon saw that’s filed for a rip cut. I think initially I may start there and reserve this saw for x-cutting. I would like to try some larger thick-stock dovetails.