Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Max FS-41 Elite 4-1/2" OD Dust Port. What connects?

Mini Max FS-41 Elite 4-1/2" OD Dust Port. What connects?

I'm attempting to hook 4" dust collection tubing to a Mini Max FS-41 Elite. This machine is about 10 years old. I found a thread here where folks were talking about 120mm dust ports, but that's not what this is. It's the thin blue plastic material and it measures almost exactly 4-1/2" OD and just a smidgeon over 4-1/4" ID. 4-in. black hose won't go in it. It's like trying to fit together two pieces of almost identical diameter. Those black hose-to-hose connectors are too small to fit inside. And remember... before someone says "duct tape" this is a machine with 2 dust ports... depending on whether it's configured as a planer or as a jointer... so I have to be able to connect and disconnect.

Has anyone found a manufacturer who accommodates these odd-sized euro fittings?

I'm going to have the same problem connecting my table saw, I'm sure. In my old shop... I had cut slits in the end of some black dust hose and it fit -- sort of. I'd like to get something better... something that didn't have to be fiddled with or that fell off during use like would occasionally happen in my old shop.

Thanks!
    Athens, AL

Saw a guy demo a way...

Get a plug (could be turned out of wood) the right size (if you need it bigger) and then heat the plastic and push in the plug, causing it to form to the new size. May take some practice...

If if needs to be smaller, do the reverse. Make a smaller hole, heat the pipe and force in in.

He demoed on white or green pipe, I've done it on black DC pipe.

It might help you out.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

As Keith said, I would try PVC pipe and use a heat gun to expand or contract, whichever you prefer. Have you thought about Fernco fittings found in most plumbing departments? They do make a 5 x 4 size that would compress down to the 4 1/2" you need. If its a snug fit on the 4" side you might get away without having to use a clamp on it. Your 4" may slip in to form a nice tight fit.
    Steve
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I have a FS41 Elite, from 2018 and it does have 120mm dust ports, as shown in the picture, which are different than what you describe so my experience may not apply to your situation.

I used this from Felder when I had a 4" 1hp DC, and it "worked".
    http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...-02-2-021.html

Worked is in quotes, because with any substantial pass the shavings were so long that it would get stuck before the bag. A trash can pre-separator improved things, but I still spent more time fighting with jams than planing.

I now have an Oneida V-3000 with 6" ducts to the machine and everything works very well, including their sheet metal fitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The port on the machine is 120mm and a rubber Fernco sewer pipe adapter slips right over it and a 5" hose will slip over the other end of the connector with a clamp. MANY of us have used this simple and relatively inexpensive method to adapt 5" hose to 120mm ports on Euro gear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Its the 4” to 4” Fernco adapter that Jim is referring to. Works on my Felder and Hammer ports too. But that’s fora 5” hose on the 120mm port. If using a 4” hose you will have to use another adapter to get the 4” to adapt. The Fernco 4” to 3” may work but you’d have to measure. Or you can take this adapter pictured and get a metal reducer in hvac area of store that will prob do it too.
    22241769-8665-481F-9C44-4662F730BAB4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The port on the machine is 120mm and a rubber Fernco sewer pipe adapter slips right over it and a 5" hose will slip over the other end of the connector with a clamp. MANY of us have used this simple and relatively inexpensive method to adapt 5" hose to 120mm ports on Euro gear.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 03-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Gregg mentioned 4" ... these machines are best served by at least a 5" drop. 4" is going to give marginal performance, especially when the shavings get "fluffy" and dense. Max CFM for a 4" duct is in the neighborhood of 400 CFM. 5" provides well north of that because of the larger area cross section...all assuming that the DC and duct work network is real-world capable of supporting higher flow rates.
    --

I only mentioned it because his first sentence said he was trying to connect 4” tubing to it.

but regardless, even if using 5” hose it will be reduced some going through the Fernco adapter and the 120mm port.

Gregg mentioned 4" ... these machines are best served by at least a 5" drop. 4" is going to give marginal performance, especially when the shavings get "fluffy" and dense. Max CFM for a 4" duct is in the neighborhood of 400 CFM. 5" provides well north of that because of the larger area cross section...all assuming that the DC and duct work network is real-world capable of supporting higher flow rates.

Oh, I know that...you just sparked the thought and I had to give you some credit for waking me up.
    --

Not sure about the 120mm

Thanks for the advice... but mine do not appear to be 120mm... which is 4.7 inches, roughly. Here are some pictures of what I have.

2019-03-17 22.22.49.jpg2019-03-17 22.23.15.jpg
    Athens, AL

The ports on the FS41 are considered 120mm ports. I have the same thing on my FS350 and my S315WS slider. There will always be a slight variation in these plastic ports. The Fernco adapter that's been mentioned is a great solution and is easy to transfer between the two hoods as you switch over the machine.
    --

Hey Jim when using the 4" Fernco how did you make the connection to the 5" flex hose? I assume the hose slid over the fernco but wont a clamp on that side just squish the rubber down as you tighten the clamp?

The Fernco is surprisingly resilient when clamping the 5" flex over it...yes, if you pull hard you can rip it off, but otherwise, it's sturdy. I've not had any issue with "crushing" the Fernco with mine and it's been in use for more than a decade now.
    --

Ok thats great, Im a huge fan of elegantly simple fixes.....

I snapped a photo for you this afternoon while I was doing a changeover...you can see things work nicely here.

IMG_3996.jpg
    --