Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hancock shaker village stepladder

I use a carpenters pencil every now and then. Primarily it gets used when marking framing lumber.

Stew

Update: I used one late this afternoon today. I had a couple of short sections from a Sunburst locust tree that friends cut down on Friday. Today I cut them up into small sections to use to hopefully make handscrew clamp bodies out of. (I have a few kits but don't have a lot of lumber to make the bodies from.)

I really don't have the right tools to cut up the sections with, but primarily used a circular saw, splitting wedges, a carpenters hatchet, a he-man ball peen hammer, a small square, and a draw knife. The sections were not very large, if they would have been larger I would not have been able to deal with them.

I used a carpenters pencil to mark the sections to cut with the circular saw. An ordinary pencil would not have stood up to the rough texture of the split wood.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-18-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Blog Entries
    Bob, Simon, thanks for the links. The book mentioned on Roy Underhill's video seemed like a good idea until looking it up on Amazon shows it for $265.83.

Maybe watching the full episode will get it worked out.

Wouldn't you know, season 19 is unavailable at > https://www.pbs.org/show/woodwrights-shop/episodes/ <.

Pop Woodworking has a DVD on sale for $10, they need the money more than me.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-17-2019 at 3:18 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I really enjoyed Caleb James modern lounge chair in PW around June 2017. It spanned two issues. The first went through the chair construction. The second article went over the Danish weaving. It's on my short list of things I'd like to try.

Great idea Lowell!

Jeff

Blog Entries
    I remember that article and even bought the cord. I may still have the issue. If any of you know how I can buy a copy of that issue, let me know.

We suffered a hurricane flood since the issue came out and I can't locate the issue.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-17-2019 at 9:15 PM.

Double check the dimensions on the step stool. I believe the thickness for the steps in the drawing are different than on the cut list.

Blog Entries
    I always buy wood that is available to me and then if changes are required, I do it.