Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock shaker village stepladder

Blog Entries

Hancock shaker village stepladder

Is in the April issue of Popular Woodworking. I like it so much, I am making it.
    There is another string where we piled on the magazine, so I thought I would post something positive.
    If they come up with more articles like this, I will be pleased. I subscribe to the magazine and will continue
    to do so.

It occurred to me that if we tell the magazines the kind of articles we like, they will try to publish them.

Why don't some of you respond with woodworking magazines you appreciate as well and maybe the content will
    improve. The other magazines I take have rather bland articles as well.

Blog Entries
    Well,
    Twenty four hours and no responses. I suppose that tells how concerned Saw Mill Creek woodworkers are.

Lowell,

The Shaker step ladder is a great article. I will probably build it sometime in the future. I subscribe to PWW, but have been disappointed with their content lately.

Blog Entries
    My subscription ran out and hasn't been renewed.

Not knowing exactly what form of stepladder is being discussed has me thinking about looking for this issue on the magazine racks to see if it is worth purchasing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have been disappointed in their articles as well as Fine Woodworking articles. The Fine Woodworking articles are better.
    I used to get a new issue and it would stay on the coffee table for days.

The Shaker step ladder article is one of the few that has attracted my interest from the last bunch of issues (even though I don't need another step ladder). I'm still getting it, but I've been thinking of dropping it has it hasn't been hitting my interest spot very well lately. Hopefully they will do better.

Blog Entries
    I have started building mine.

The design of that stepladder piqued my interest as well, and I do need one. I will probably build it too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have started building mine.
    Will there be any proof via pictures?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    After this one, my next project will be two of Fine Wood Working's Adirondak Chair in Cypress.

I may buy the wood tomorrow. And, we need to buy the various woodworking magazines so they will survive.

I still keep my new issues on the coffee table and stacks of old issues in my computer room.
    And, I see one of my flat carpenter pencils on my computer desk. Do any of you use them?
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-16-2019 at 9:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Will there be any proof via pictures?

jtk
    You can see the ladder on the cover of the april issue.

https://www.discountmags.com/magazin...orking-digital

Simon

Blog Entries
    [edited]
    And, I see one of my flat carpenter pencils on my computer desk. Do any of you use them?
    Two of mine are used all the time. One is sharpened in a sharpener to give it a round point for marking heavy lines. The other has a chisel edge so it will stay in the scored mark made by a wheel style marking gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    You can see the ladder on the cover of the april issue.

https://www.discountmags.com/magazin...orking-digital

Simon
    Thanks for the link Simon.

It was my hope for it to be a ladder/chair. That is on my 'want to build' list.

jtk

.................And, I see one of my flat carpenter pencils on my computer desk. Do any of you use them?
    Only for framing.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Two of mine are used all the time. One is sharpened in a sharpener to give it a round point for marking heavy lines. The other has a chisel edge so it will stay in the scored mark made by a wheel style marking gauge.

Thanks for the link Simon.

It was my hope for it to be a ladder/chair. That is on my 'want to build' list.

jtk
    Jim,

Here is another one: https://www.woodstore.net/category-s/327.htm

Underhill has also covered it: https://videos.popularwoodworking.co...he-ladderchair

Simon