Thread: Stanley miter box

Stanley miter box

I recently traded for a Stanley miter box #2358A and some hand planes. Have them all cleaned and tuned up ready to go to work. My question is the angle numbers start at 90 degrees and go to 45 degrees instead of 0 to 45. What is Stanley's reason for doing that? It's going to take a little brain grease to make angle cuts because I'm not used to that. Where is 22.5 degrees and so on.

Galen
    I can't speak to the Stanley specifically, I have a vintage Keen Kutter miter box.
    Technically you can't make a 0 degree cut, that would be a cut parallel with the rear fence. The angles are relative to the rear fence, so 90 degree would be the saw moving exactly perpendicular to the rear fence.
    Most off the miter boxes I've seen have a spring detent at 67.5 degrees, or 22.5 degrees relative to the rear fence, that the saw guide will kick into, once the spring lock mechanism is released. At least mine does.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

That’s interesting. My previous Stanley 2358 was not that way; as pictured here:

22F33155-A9E4-45E9-861C-12752EF41ADB.jpg

My current Millers Falls is also marked 0-45, with 0 in the center.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Galen and welcome to the Creek.

It seems there are a few methods of designating the angles on miter boxes. They either have to start with zero degrees being in relation to the fence or to the perpendicular of the fence. One of my miter boxes doesn't list the degrees, it lists the number of sides a polygon would have when the joints are cut at the designated stops.

There should be a way to clamp the setting between the detents if you want to cut other angles.

If my memory is working the #2358 uses a 28" by 5" saw. Coincidentally another post today asks what is the use of a 28" back saw.

A quick Google search should find you an instruction sheet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Howdy Galen and welcome to the Creek.

One of my miter boxes doesn't list the degrees, it lists the number of sides a polygon would have when the joints are cut at the designated stops.
    jtk
    Ah-Ha!!, so that's what those, "4,6,8", marks on my miter box are for. There's also one marked "24" at about 82.5 deg.
    Thank you Jim.

Mike
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

IMAG0003.jpg
    From a Stanley No. 358 I had....but, IF you look a little lower..
    IMAG0009.jpg
    There was degree markings, just about where the locking notches were.