Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i match a radius?

Full disclosure, I bought one of those flexible curve rulers 5 or 6 years ago and it worked fine for the project I bought it for. Haven't seen it since, but I know it's out there somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Simply scribe the line on a piece of cardboard with a pencil compass.
    10158161488.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Simply scribe the line on a piece of cardboard with a pencil compass.
    10158161488.jpg
    The only problem to remember with this method is you must keep the compass perpendicular to the surface being traced at all times as you trace it to get an accurate representation. Other than that, it is a great way to trace a surface to make a template.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

thanks for the pic! Great idea
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Scribe it with a compass?

Doh -- Lee beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The only problem to remember with this method is you must keep the compass perpendicular to the surface being traced at all times as you trace it to get an accurate representation. Other than that, it is a great way to trace a surface to make a template.
    There is an even bigger problem with this method; no new tools are involved. everyone knows that half the fun of woodworking is in acquiring new tools.

Can I get an amen?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    There is an even bigger problem with this method; no new tools are involved. everyone knows that half the fun of woodworking is in acquiring new tools.

Can I get an amen?
    I apologize for my mistake!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post

Can I get an amen?
    He might not own a pencil equipped compass.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

As it has been said before....45 degree cut - done! Not good enuff? OK... Find come soup, coffee, paint or whatever can that might come close to the radius on the truck bed to trace a radius. But really...... how far is the edge of vertical 2x4 from the side of the box bed in the picture you provided? That distance would be about the radius!

Look around the house for anything circular: plates, saucers, pan lids, coffee can lids, jar lids....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    You can get a flexible curve ruler like the one Nick posted at Michael's and Hobby Lobby for about the same price. Beats waiting for shipping if you have one of them close by. I've actually used a piece of #10 copper wire to replicate a curve once or twice. Not the best tool for the job, but was what I had on hand and it did the job.
    OR a metal coat hanger bent to shape. I bet there's one in your house waiting for you.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-16-2019 at 9:33 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Cut a 45* and then cut those 2 points again. You'll be getting pretty close - nothing a disc sander couldn't fix...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Elementary.

Use a pencil compass to scribe the curve onto a scrap of cardboard, which you can then cutout with scissors to check and refine the fit before transferring it to the workpiece.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by David Kreuzberg View Post
    , jar lids....
    ^^^^This^^^^
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by David Kreuzberg View Post
    Look around the house for anything circular: plates, saucers, pan lids, coffee can lids, jar lids....
    That'd be my solution.

Scribing it in would be my second choice