Thread: A couple of questions about splitters on ZCI

A couple of questions about splitters on ZCI

First; How do you make sure the splitter is in line with the blade kerf?

Second; How far is the splitter placed behind the blade?

Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Hi Jim,

I just installed a new splitter in my 20-year old Unisaw and had to figure this out. After removing the blade you'll have the arbor and the "fixed flange" remaining (normally to the right of the blade). Then raise the arbor most of the way. I removed the factory block that supported the OEM splitter, then installed the new block that came with the new splitter loosely. I then laid a straight edge across the flange to the new block. Then I tightened the mounting block down. This creates and alignment between the (right side) of the blade and the splitter. Since my splitter is a .120" and my blades are mostly .125", this worked out very well. I ran a test piece just through the blade and up to the splitter before pushing it through to check the alignment. Without using this straight edge alignment method, you'd have to do a number of trial and error runs.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

I use the Micro Jig splitters. They make them for both think kerf and regular kerf blades. I like mine a lot.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Blog Entries
    Another Micro-Jig user here on previous machines. They come with all you need to align and position the splitters. If you want to make your own, Stumpy's method at about 5:15 in the video above is your answer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Another Micro-Jig user here on previous machines. They come with all you need to align and position the splitters.
    +2. Love the M-Jig splitters. ..although oddly enough, I found that the cats seem to be attracted to them and pulled it out of the ZCI once. I found it on the far side of the basement. I now store the splitter in the cabinet during off-hours.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bandirola View Post
    Thanks Stephen, just what the doctor ordered

Jim

I really like that video Stephen posted. It is the first I have seen where they made one for a SawStop. Turns out it is more simple to make than it first appears.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.