Thread: Tri Helix Grail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tri Helix Grail

Hello once again everyone Here's is my latest piece thought I would put a twist on things. This piece is Sapele turned and carved the finish is lacquer, it stands 14" and is 3.5 at the widest point. This one took a bit of time to smooth all the inner parts but yet keeping the crisp lines of the helix, there was a lot of hand sanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Hello once again everyone Here's is my latest piece thought I would put a twist on things. This piece is Sapele turned and carved the finish is lacquer, it stands 14" and is 3.5 at the widest point. This one took a bit of time to smooth all the inner parts but yet keeping the crisp lines of the helix, there was a lot of hand sanding.
    You have a twisted mind!
    Beautiful work, I especially like the reverse twist.

If you have any shots of making it I'd love to see them.

Hey, where did you find a chunk of Sapele that size. I have some slabs and 8 and 10/4 boards but I've never found any thicker.

JKJ

Really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Really nice!
    Thank you very much Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You have a twisted mind!
    Beautiful work, I especially like the reverse twist.

If you have any shots of making it I'd love to see them.

Hey, where did you find a chunk of Sapele that size. I have some slabs and 8 and 10/4 boards but I've never found any thicker.

JKJ
    Thank you John, Sorry I didn't take any in progress photos this time I've been working on several wood projects as well as my paintings, the helix was carved over the winter and I was just able to get out to the shop and turn the grail part. I think I had told you before I lost my supplier for the Sapele but the mill is still there I just have to drive there 1.5 hr drive. I was getting 4" -5" thick by 10" wide by 6'-8 long 1/4 sawn planks and almost as thick pieces of the Pommele Sapele in those sizes; I sure miss having that connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Thank you John, Sorry I didn't take any in progress photos this time I've been working on several wood projects as well as my paintings, the helix was carved over the winter and I was just able to get out to the shop and turn the grail part. I think I had told you before I lost my supplier for the Sapele but the mill is still there I just have to drive there 1.5 hr drive. I was getting 4" -5" thick by 10" wide by 6'-8 long 1/4 sawn planks and almost as thick pieces of the Pommele Sapele in those sizes; I sure miss having that connection.
    Wow, now I'm drooling. I've driven from TN to MD and further just to pick up stuff. I'd be tempted into a road trip for some 4-5" sapele especially some that is figured.

And although this is a wood/metals/carving/boat and other craftsy forum, I can't see why a few paintings couldn't be shown, perhaps in off topic. Hint hint.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Wow, now I'm drooling. I've driven from TN to MD and further just to pick up stuff. I'd be tempted into a road trip for some 4-5" sapele especially some that is figured.

And although this is a wood/metals/carving/boat and other craftsy forum, I can't see why a few paintings couldn't be shown, perhaps in off topic. Hint hint.

JKJ
    I'll have to see if I can still buy from them I'll let you know. I posted a few of my Painting works on the off topic forum check them out and let me know what you think. link....https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....13#post2909013
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 03-15-2019 at 5:13 PM.