Thread: Where to buy lumber online?

Where to buy lumber online?

Hey all, can anyone share some good places to buy (hardwood) lumber online? I'm familiar with the pricey retail type places: Rockler, Woodcraft, Woodworkers Source, etc and am hoping to find some places that I can get stuff less expensively. I'd be fine with individual people and smaller mills as well, doesn't have to be 'big businesses'.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

I usually can buy lumber from places like Bell Forest. Use the internet and google it. One consideration is the cost of shipping. I can justify driving a few hours to buy cheaper than I can pay shipping charges. The few times I have bought online, the cost for shipping was almost as much as the cost of the wood itself.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I've bought from Woodworkers Source: https://www.woodworkerssource.com/ Their pricing and shipping is not bad. Lots of exotics and figured wood available.

I've had good experience from 3, crlumber, walllumber and bell forest. I typically get 20 bf bundles from the crlumber or walllumber. Recently I bought 40bf of quarter sawn sapele from crlumber that was excellent. Wood usually arrives by UPS within a 3 or 4 days. Wall lumber includes shipping in their 20 bf bundles. crlumber prices shipping based on zip so it helps if you live closer.

A lot of the better lumber concerns will sell online including Hearne. You have to balance the combination of things like minimum orders and shipping costs, however, especially if you don't want "shorts" for a given project. Some places will offer free delivery with a larger minimum order.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You don't say where you live. Three wonderful locals are:
    Medley Lumber, Medley (west of Miami) Fl. if still in business.
    The nameless Amish sawmill just outside Burton, (east of Cleveland) Ohio
    Keim Lumber Millersburg, (west of Canton) Ohio

If others chime in this could get to be a pretty good ABC Railroad Guide to lumber ;-) and more than a few of us would have reference to nearby places we were unaware of.

Every month I buy from woodcraft what is on sale and I put it in my cart and a day or so later i get coupon code for free shipping, makes the price decent. this month is PH and canary. you can only really get 3/4x5x36 pieces and some turning stock

Check these guys out. I buy all my wood from them. They specialize in figured hardwood - www.bellforestproducts.com

I've had great results from two of the places above. Bell Forest and Wall Lumber. Wall is not so far from me, so I've only dealt with them in person, but they are one of my favorite vendors (I am lucky enough to have two great localish vendors). Bell Forest was great for me, too. The other online place I really like, not mentioned above, is Mapleleaf Hardwoods at http://www.curlymaple.com/Default.asp. Bought amazing figured wood from them that I couldn't source locally.

Another +1 for Wall lumber. Local for me, but they have always been very good at responding to email requests/questions for specific wood needs.

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check them all out.

The wife and I lost our home and shop in the Camp Fire in Paradise, CA and have since relocated to Enterprise in the far NE part of Oregon and are trying to rebuild and restock our shop. This place is seriously in the middle of nowhere, the nearest big box store is 2+ hours away, the nearest (good) hardwood dealer maybe 4-6hrs away so I'm looking at online as an alternative.

Anyways thanks again I'll check out the new sources! :cheers:

I've bought from Wall Lumber (2 hr drive from me) several times both in person as well as having wood shipped via freight. The freight is based on volume and I'm sure distance plays a factor so there are probably better options on the west coast, but for domestic hardwoods I've always been pleased with Wall Lumber. I was looking for fairly specific things the times I called them and ordered over the phone and they didn't disappoint and the prices are reasonable for the service and quality they provide.

David, you can find some good small quantities of wood on eBay, if you're up for that.

Wow...what a horrible way to have to start over, but thankful that you and yours were safe and able to start afresh!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...