Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: First bandsaw on the way!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    47

    First bandsaw on the way!!!

    After a few years of holding off, I finally ordered a band saw. I've read, researched, looked at, read more and finally ordered a Laguna 14BX 2.5 hp (220 volt) machine. It's supposed to ship out tomorrow so I should have it in about a week. Next problem, getting issue - getting it down to my basement shop. I have a Laguna jointer and it's a great quality machine, so I hope the bandsaw holds up to the same standards.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    94
    I suspect you'll love it. I helped a friend put one together today. Fit and finish were great. Everything went together as you'd hope. Smooth as silk operation.
    https://youtu.be/dbiDYdHl9Xc
    Semi-retired, teaching CNC for Fine Woodworking at the local community college. FineLine Automation Saturn 2, EnRoute Pro, Aspire, Mach3.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    800
    If its a good as my Laguna Fusion table saw then you are going to love it. Congrats.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    355
    Congrats! It is like Christmas time when getting a new tool. Great anticipation before it arrives and then joy and excitement when it does arrive.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Posts
    380
    I've had the same machine for 2 years, have been very pleased with it. Moving it shouldn't be too bad, it comes in a large cardboard box which is pretty easy to slide around and to tilt up and down. Weighs about 350 lbs. Then you have to get rid of the metric ton of Styrofoam they pack the box with.

  6. #6
    I have the 14suv and it is awesome. It has pretty much the same features. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to set the guides. And im still not 100% on it. The best i was able to figure was set and tension your blade, then wrap a 1 dollar bill around the blade and adjust the guides to touching the bill, it takes some getting used to

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Posts
    380
    The ceramic guides can be run touching the blade, so to set them I just loosen the knobs, gently squeeze them onto the blade, then tighten. Couldn't be simpler. The guides are one of my favorite things about the saw.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dickinson, Texas
    Posts
    6,056
    I have a band saw as well as a table saw. Be aware, it is every bit as dangerous as a table saw. Don't ask how I know.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    The ceramic guides can be run touching the blade, so to set them I just loosen the knobs, gently squeeze them onto the blade, then tighten. Couldn't be simpler. The guides are one of my favorite things about the saw.
    That is good to know. I didn't think the blade should touch the guides....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have a band saw as well as a table saw. Be aware, it is every bit as dangerous as a table saw. Don't ask how I know.
    Ouch - I don't want to know. I hope you are ok.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Great Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    169
    Justin,

    I got a Laguna 14BX 2.5hp same as yours a couple of years ago. It is my first bandsaw, so really have nothing to compare it to, but I find it to be a great saw. I fiddled forever with the ceramic guides when I first got the saw, but now it takes only a few minutes to adjust them when I change blades. I adjust one side guide to touch, then flex the blade just a tiny bit to push the guide back, and tighten down the guide. Do the same for the other side. Same procedure for the rear guides.

    I splurged on a 3/4" Resaw King blade when i bought the saw and do not regret it a bit. That blade leaves really nice faces when resawing, just a little planing with a smoother cleans them right up.

    Also, Laguna customer service was really helpful answering all my new guy questions.

    Hope you enjoy the 14BX as much as I do.

    Tom

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Blank View Post
    Justin,

    I got a Laguna 14BX 2.5hp same as yours a couple of years ago. It is my first bandsaw, so really have nothing to compare it to, but I find it to be a great saw. I fiddled forever with the ceramic guides when I first got the saw, but now it takes only a few minutes to adjust them when I change blades. I adjust one side guide to touch, then flex the blade just a tiny bit to push the guide back, and tighten down the guide. Do the same for the other side. Same procedure for the rear guides.

    I splurged on a 3/4" Resaw King blade when i bought the saw and do not regret it a bit. That blade leaves really nice faces when resawing, just a little planing with a smoother cleans them right up.

    Also, Laguna customer service was really helpful answering all my new guy questions.

    Hope you enjoy the 14BX as much as I do.

    Tom
    Tom,

    Thanks for the feedback on the saw. It's good to know there are others out there that own and like the saw. I've heard mostly good stuff about Laguna and I already own a jointer from them. They make a good quality machine in my opinion. I've talked to one of the guys at Laguna a few times and he has been very helpful.

    Thanks,

    Justin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •