Thread: First bandsaw on the way!!!

First bandsaw on the way!!!

After a few years of holding off, I finally ordered a band saw. I've read, researched, looked at, read more and finally ordered a Laguna 14BX 2.5 hp (220 volt) machine. It's supposed to ship out tomorrow so I should have it in about a week. Next problem, getting issue - getting it down to my basement shop. I have a Laguna jointer and it's a great quality machine, so I hope the bandsaw holds up to the same standards.

I suspect you'll love it. I helped a friend put one together today. Fit and finish were great. Everything went together as you'd hope. Smooth as silk operation.
    https://youtu.be/dbiDYdHl9Xc

If its a good as my Laguna Fusion table saw then you are going to love it. Congrats.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Congrats! It is like Christmas time when getting a new tool. Great anticipation before it arrives and then joy and excitement when it does arrive.

I've had the same machine for 2 years, have been very pleased with it. Moving it shouldn't be too bad, it comes in a large cardboard box which is pretty easy to slide around and to tilt up and down. Weighs about 350 lbs. Then you have to get rid of the metric ton of Styrofoam they pack the box with.

I have the 14suv and it is awesome. It has pretty much the same features. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to set the guides. And im still not 100% on it. The best i was able to figure was set and tension your blade, then wrap a 1 dollar bill around the blade and adjust the guides to touching the bill, it takes some getting used to

The ceramic guides can be run touching the blade, so to set them I just loosen the knobs, gently squeeze them onto the blade, then tighten. Couldn't be simpler. The guides are one of my favorite things about the saw.

Blog Entries
    I have a band saw as well as a table saw. Be aware, it is every bit as dangerous as a table saw. Don't ask how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    The ceramic guides can be run touching the blade, so to set them I just loosen the knobs, gently squeeze them onto the blade, then tighten. Couldn't be simpler. The guides are one of my favorite things about the saw.
    That is good to know. I didn't think the blade should touch the guides....

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have a band saw as well as a table saw. Be aware, it is every bit as dangerous as a table saw. Don't ask how I know.
    Ouch - I don't want to know. I hope you are ok.

Justin,

I got a Laguna 14BX 2.5hp same as yours a couple of years ago. It is my first bandsaw, so really have nothing to compare it to, but I find it to be a great saw. I fiddled forever with the ceramic guides when I first got the saw, but now it takes only a few minutes to adjust them when I change blades. I adjust one side guide to touch, then flex the blade just a tiny bit to push the guide back, and tighten down the guide. Do the same for the other side. Same procedure for the rear guides.

I splurged on a 3/4" Resaw King blade when i bought the saw and do not regret it a bit. That blade leaves really nice faces when resawing, just a little planing with a smoother cleans them right up.

Also, Laguna customer service was really helpful answering all my new guy questions.

Hope you enjoy the 14BX as much as I do.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Blank View Post
    Justin,

I got a Laguna 14BX 2.5hp same as yours a couple of years ago. It is my first bandsaw, so really have nothing to compare it to, but I find it to be a great saw. I fiddled forever with the ceramic guides when I first got the saw, but now it takes only a few minutes to adjust them when I change blades. I adjust one side guide to touch, then flex the blade just a tiny bit to push the guide back, and tighten down the guide. Do the same for the other side. Same procedure for the rear guides.

I splurged on a 3/4" Resaw King blade when i bought the saw and do not regret it a bit. That blade leaves really nice faces when resawing, just a little planing with a smoother cleans them right up.

Also, Laguna customer service was really helpful answering all my new guy questions.

Hope you enjoy the 14BX as much as I do.

Tom
    Tom,

Thanks for the feedback on the saw. It's good to know there are others out there that own and like the saw. I've heard mostly good stuff about Laguna and I already own a jointer from them. They make a good quality machine in my opinion. I've talked to one of the guys at Laguna a few times and he has been very helpful.

Thanks,

Justin

My new band saw was delivered today (YaY). I purchased directly from Laguna as they have an outlet shop and I was able to save some money. The saw was used as a demo at a trade show, however I think it was just on display as I can't find a spec of sawdust on this machine, let alone any wear on it. Is was delivered assembled and my concern was getting it from the garage where the freight shipper put it with a pallet jack down to my basement. Thank goodness for dollies designed to move appliances, water heaters and boilers and the machine is in my workshop. The mobile base isn't here yet and I do need to get a light for it and of course run the 220 circuit once I get it in place. Hopefully this weekend i'll get it all hooked up!!

I had a chance this weekend to run electric and set up the saw. I used it for a few cuts and put some scrap wood through to see how it cut. With a 5/8 blade I was able to resaw wood and get 1/16th thin 'vaneer'. The finish was a bit rough since it isn't a resaw blade but was more for testing the accuracy of the fence.

I did get the realization that my dust collector isn't powerful enough as it's just a delta roll-around 1hp. The saw manual says to hook up a DC that can handle 1000 cfpm, which makes sense due to the dual DC port design on the saw. I guess I am saving for another tool