Thread: Trotec Speedy 300 Hardware and parts

Trotec Speedy 300 Hardware and parts

Hi everyone, thanks for having me in the forum. I've been a viewer for a while just browsing and using the search feature. But now I have a problem that I havent been able to find the solution to.

I have a Trotec Speedy 300 and the belts can no longer be tightened. I got a quote for replacements and it will run me $800 to get an X and Y axis belt replacement. Does anyone know of any other retailers to purchase replacement parts for the speedy 300?

Other than needing tightening, does the machine engrave okay?

I don't have a Trotec, but I suspect belt tightening is similar to my gravograph--

On mine, on the far right side of the gantry, the cog can be tightened by loosening an allen set screw on top, then tighten by turning in another allen screw on the side; clockwise pulls the cog housing towards the screw, tightening it.

But- on the lens head the belt ends are attached, on mine each end is held twice, on each end edge of the lens housing is a rounded-off small 'bar' that pushes the belt flat and tight against the housing. the rounded part is so the bar doesn't dig into the belt. To get to the main clamps I have to remove the mirror housing, underneath are two small flat bars that are the main clamps. On the opposite side were the belt fits is notched to fit the belt notches....

Yours should be somewhat similar. So what you do is, loosen up the tightener and then 'unscrew' it fully until it's as loose as it will go. Then, unclamp one side of the belt at the lens housing, pull it one belt-tooth tighter, then tighten it's clamp.

Now your belt tightener has less belt to pull, and should tighten it to your liking

And seriously Trotec, $800 for belts? -- for what it's worth, my Gravograph is nearly 15 years old and only replaced the X belt a little over a year ago. Reason being, since most of the engraving is done near the top-left corner, the first 4" or so of belt teeth wear faster, and I was getting some wobbly engraving within the first 4". for what it's worth part 2, at about 5 years old, I simply turned the belt around, which put the worn teeth where they're never used

My long Y belts have never been touched.... My BIL bought my old 1997 ULS machine, IT'S long Y belts haven't been adjusted since 2002, when I found the gantry wasn't running square... My point, I don't thing your belts are worn out. The X should be fine once re-mounted...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I can tighten the belts at the carriage. It engraves and cuts fine right now, but every now and then if I engrave at a faster speed the carriage starts to rock and make noise. Im seriously considering a new machine because I need to replace a few things. Here are what I was quoted for my replacement needs:

x and y Axis belts - $800
    18x30 Honeycomb table - $700
    Activated Charcoal filter bag x2 - $250 each
    Particulate filter (most likely just a hepa filter) - $700

Not only these parts, but Trotec wants me to purchase a "service" kit that has x,y,z belts, x,y,z stepper motors for $4,500 plus installation. So i guess I dont need the $800 belts if I get the $4500 service kit lol.

This is on a machine that doesnt have air assist, or any fancy features. as much as I love it, I've been reading that people are spending 2k per year just doing upkeep on this machine. At that price I would rather buy a Boss or FSL unit that has better customer service and doesnt charge an arm and a leg each time I need to update the software.

My guess your paying for labor and a service call to replace those belts, correct?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Mae

Where are you located and how old is your machine? Where have you been reading that people are spending $2000 a year for upkeep on this machine?
    That flat isn't true! The Speedy 300, in fact, is one of the most reliable machines on the market and the reason for it's popularity.

The belt adjustments are on the left side of the machine and in 13 years of owning Trotecs I've only adjusted them once--when I replaced the bearings on my first machine.

What you are saying is unlike anything I've ever heard about a Speedy 300 or about Trotec tech support which has an excellent reputation so it would be good to know where you're located to see if there's is a Trotec rep in your area who could have a look.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mae Evelynn View Post
    I can tighten the belts at the carriage. It engraves and cuts fine right now, but every now and then if I engrave at a faster speed the carriage starts to rock and make noise. Im seriously considering a new machine because I need to replace a few things. Here are what I was quoted for my replacement needs:

x and y Axis belts - $800
    18x30 Honeycomb table - $700
    Activated Charcoal filter bag x2 - $250 each
    Particulate filter (most likely just a hepa filter) - $700

Not only these parts, but Trotec wants me to purchase a "service" kit that has x,y,z belts, x,y,z stepper motors for $4,500 plus installation. So i guess I dont need the $800 belts if I get the $4500 service kit lol.

This is on a machine that doesnt have air assist, or any fancy features. as much as I love it, I've been reading that people are spending 2k per year just doing upkeep on this machine. At that price I would rather buy a Boss or FSL unit that has better customer service and doesnt charge an arm and a leg each time I need to update the software.
    With them recommending that level of parts, there's obviously more to the story than you just need a new belt. I don't know who's spending $2,000 per year to keep their Trotec running. We have one that is about 10 years old now and we've spent zero, yes ZERO money on it each year to keep it running and one is 6 months old and it's had nothing done to it.

The filters will cost you money to maintain no matter what. Buying a cheaper laser doesn't make that go away, unless you aren't going to use the filter. If you aren't going to use the filter, then unhook the one you have on the Trotec and run it without that (properly).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I've got a Speedy 400 and in almost 3 years of ownership I have put zero $ into upkeep. I do clean it daily and probably spend $100 a year on denatured alcohol, paper towels, lens cleaner, lens tissue, etc., but that would be the same whether I had a Trotec or a Boss/FSL. What I do have with my Trotec that you won't have with your Boss or FSL is speed and quality - you simply can't compare a $40k machine with a $4k machine. I'm not sure where you are getting your info from but the main reason I bought Trotec is because they are the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

I have a Speedy 300 purchased in 2012 and just last week had a X axis refurbished for $1595.00

Following steps were performed by Trotec technician:

- removed and cleaned the engraving arm
    - replaced all belts and bearings on the engraving arm including the linear bearings and rail
    - reinstalled the engraving arm in the system and adjusted the belt tension and software for optimal engraving quality

It took about 4 hours to complete the job
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

I have a feeling Mae Evelynn is a troll...

Not trying to troll anyone. The laser is located in a makerspace where many people use it. We are being told that we need to replace the atmos mono consumables once a year which is already $1200 based on the quotes we've gotten for the activated charcoal and box filter. Im just trying to find other alternatives to replacing the belts if there are any. The laser has been owned by the space since 2011 and NEVER had any service or anything done to it. Now that I am in charge of it, im seeing all sorts of issues suddenly pop up and its frustrating that I cannot find any service/maintenance records from the previous person before me. Everything I have to go on is based on phone calls to the original distributor as well as just calling trotec. Before the makerspace owned it, it was apparently a floor model. There have been no cleaning procedures, no general upkeep, nothing to keep up the longevity of the machine. So when I say that we are having issues with it, I really do mean it. The machine sees anywhere from 10-20 different people each day cutting and engraving various materials. Also, I don't know if they were quoting me on only parts or parts and labour.

Unfortunately, out closest rep still has to be flown out to Eastern Washington. The machine had been solid, then all the issues started up in the span of a week. This is our most used machine and the belts keep gunking up now, the cuts are not at a true perpendicular angle anymore, and our nearest rep pretty much told us to remove the X-axis belt, clean it, and then use silicone lube (According to the last person in charge before I took over). Its pretty much a bandaid that lasts us another two weeks of use. I dont understand the silicone lube part, ive never lubed a toothed belt in my life.

I am trying to understand what we can do for you? Other than the advice already given.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

It's in a makerspace, and it's 8 years old. And it's never been serviced. Used by 10-20 people a day. So instead of $2000 per year, you've spent $0. Well now, that is a horse of another color. You should pin a meritorious service medal on that machine.

If it were my machine I would probably look into selling it and getting a new machine. And based on that service, I would buy another Trotec. On the other hand, this machine can be restored to it's new operating condition with a good overhaul and I would definitely have a Trotec person do it.

Regardless of what you buy you're going to have to continue to spend for consumables for your Atmos. As you've discovered, that ain't cheap.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If the belts are 'gucking up', that sounds to me like a lot of wood's being cut with a restricted exhaust system, letting smoke drift around in the cabinet coating everything with half cooked wood sap. That crap will cover the belt teeth, the bearing rails, which the rail bearing wipers will just glide over instead of pushing out of the way, the bearings can then pick up the sap and pack the races with it, which will displace any lubricant, and over time, can displace room for the bearings themselves, which can cause the bearing housing to spit out bearings, or the bearings won't roll and start flat-spotting, which can restrict bearing movement to the point the stepper motors will have a tough time moving the bearings, particularly the slow moving Y bearings, which can result in the gucked-up belts possibly skipping a tooth trying to push a seized bearing along its guide rail--

Hey, just my synopsis, all that to say: like all these guys state, Trotecs are bullet-proof machines, unless it's never hidden from from the bullets! IMO your machine needs nothing more than a very good cleaning, maybe some new rail bearings, and the exhaust system fixed or upgraded. Your belts, I'd bet a buck that if they were removed, thoroughly cleaned with turpentine or mineral spirits to remove the deposits, (likewise with the belt cogs), once re-installed they will work just fine.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks everyone, I finally had time to read through all the comments and suggestions. I'm having my employees tear apart what they can and give the machine a thorough once through with cleaning. We are also going to move away from the Atmos and look into hooking up the machine to our central collection for better air flow. I discovered just yesterday the our filters are also 8 years old and the workers continue to open the top and just vacuum any clogs. There is a lot that I am restructuring to keep our maker space machines longevity in tact and your suggestions definitely help. Once I have a budget, I will have a trotec rep come out and perform the full service that they are recommending.