Thread: Changing the odor of friction wax

Changing the odor of friction wax

Hi to All.
    I have a couple of questions for you Can you ad something like citrus oil to your friction wax to help mask the smell? Also if I want to have a glossier shine on my bowls do I add more shellac or more BLO?
    Thank you in advance for your help
    Scuddy

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scudamore View Post
    Hi to All.
    I have a couple of questions for you Can you ad something like citrus oil to your friction wax to help mask the smell? Also if I want to have a glossier shine on my bowls do I add more shellac or more BLO?
    What kind of friction wax? I use Mylands friction polish but I don't think it's a wax. I understand it's mostly shellac.

And is the smell a problem? All finishes I've used have an odor when applied but lose their smell when totally dry/cured.

What kind of glossy finish do you want, a deep clear coat? Some people spray coats of lacquer for a glossy finish. Some use multiple coats of some finish then smooth and polish the finish. I seldom go for deep glossy but when desired I've used TruOil (which I've heard is not an oil but a varnish).

Thank you for the reply. I meant to say friction polish. I use shellac and BLO as a mixture. The smell is still around after two to three weeks of curing.
    Scuddy

If you can still smell it that means it's not fully cured. Hiding that smell would be difficult. Time is really the only thing. What's your ratio for the mixture? Did you go with the 1:1:1 ratio for ob shine juice?

Eliminate the BLO if you want to eliminate the smell. The shellac adds the gloss.