Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must have been luck

Must have been luck

Yesterday I took 15 pieces to the Kizmit Gallery in Fort Langley and the owner loved them all! Wow, I'm feeling pretty lucky, usually she chooses about 1/2 of the pieces I take. I sure hope the public likes them as well as she does. Here's a shot of them on our bar as I was getting ready to pack them. Mostly Red Maple with what I have been told is Compartmentalization of Decay in wood (CODIW). When I was told this tree being removed I quickly went to take a look and noticed it was black or really dark inside. I thought it was rot and didn't believe it was worth the effort but because I was there already I thought I'd take it anyway. Lucky for me!
    IMG_8282.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Masterpieces...every one
    Best,
    Ed D.

Congrats, Pete, on the gallery placement and on the really nice work complimented by some striking wood.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Beautiful pieces Peter!! Is Red Maple similar/same as big leaf?? I have turned some the has "CODIW"ed after a short time unsealed and exposed to Seattle weather and it has some amazing color with "surprise" soft areas that have tendered a few pieces to the scrap pile. Maple is plentiful in our area and it's hard to tell which type is best to spend time prepping blanks. Is Fort Langley in BC or Widbey Island in Wa.

Yikes, that looks like a lot of work! And great work.

Could the CODIW be CODIT (Compartmentmentalization of Decay in Trees)?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...decay_in_trees

I found out about this from our favorite arborist Tom Dunlap, said to look up CODIT and Dr. Alex Shigo. Beyond fascinating.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Yesterday I took 15 pieces to the Kizmit Gallery in Fort Langley and the owner loved them all! Wow, I'm feeling pretty lucky, usually she chooses about 1/2 of the pieces I take. I sure hope the public likes them as well as she does. Here's a shot of them on our bar as I was getting ready to pack them. Mostly Red Maple with what I have been told is Compartmentalization of Decay in wood (CODIW). When I was told this tree being removed I quickly went to take a look and noticed it was black or really dark inside. I thought it was rot and didn't believe it was worth the effort but because I was there already I thought I'd take it anyway. Lucky for me!
    IMG_8282.jpg

Beautiful! Very humbling to see such great work and art.

Thanks everyone! John K Jordan, I stand corrected so sorry for the misinformation! Fort Langley is in BC John C and our Maple must be the same as you have south of the border. The dark part of this maple is magic and happened while the tree was alive. Wow I must attract people with the same name . . . Randy and Ed, that is very nice of you to say but I feel many here produce much nicer work than I do but every once in a while the wood and mother nature just takes it to another level.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

That’s just a whole different level of art

Beautiful pieces, I can see why the owner would want them all. My inspiration Harry Nohr used to say, "Trees are a lot like people, those that struggle the most to grow are the most beautiful."

Thanks everyone! Something I sometimes find confusing is that the 'turning world' often seems to like things that the public doesn't. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Thanks everyone! Something I sometimes find confusing is that the 'turning world' often seems to like things that the public doesn't. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    ive found the opposite is also true! I’ve turned a number of things that would make the folks on this forum barf but they sold the second I laid them on the table! I learned a long time ago to mostly turn what makes me happy and turn what sells when I need to buy new tools....

Yours, Pete, is excellent work! If it’s not out of line, may I ask if your gallery buys your pieces outright, or do they place the items for sale and take a commission when the piece is sold? If the latter, I assume you work with the gallery to set the acceptable price?

here in Southern California, I’ve been occasionally offered spots in galleries but they charge a minimum 50% commission, with one wanting 65% of the price. I’ve not had a gallery buy anything outright.... I generally do much better at art shows than craft shows.

Good points Harold! Thanks for bringing them up. As far as the Gallery goes, yes we did a little negotiation and I do pay a little more than I would like 40% but sell more there than I would if I didn't use the Gallery. It may or may not be interesting but I now price my pieces based on what I will see if they are sold at gallery BUT sell them from my shop for the 40% reduced price. The gallery owner is happy to return a piece to me if I find someone local who want to purchase directly from me. We are about 1 hour from the gallery and as a result I doubt that it would be very seldom that anyone who sees a piece at the gallery would contact me direct.
    Pete

Wow, that is awesome. Your pieces look absolutely phenomenal. Congratulations!
    USMC '97-'01

Thanks Adam. The sort of Greek style piece near the front sold yesterday!!! Hopefully this is just a sign of things to come.
    Pete

Are your pieces available to see online from the gallery? I would be interested in what they are being offered for. Beautiful work indeed.