Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Two foolish mistakes at table saw cost me, dearly - Graphic Photos!

Sorry for your accident. I sawed through the top knuckle on my left middle finger. It was fused together, but don't even notice the immobility even when typing. The tip of that finger was incredibly sensitive to cold, so be prepared next winter! I'd suggest a change in table saw manufactures now that you know how quickly they can bite. I did.

Bruce I hope your rehab goes well. It’s kind of you to share your experience. Gives us all a reminder to be conscious of our surroundings and work practices.
    Jim

Man thats terrible! Best wishes and hopes for a fast and good recovery! Once you get back on the horse, any plans to buy a Sawstop?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

4. Looks terrible, sorry that you got cut, hope for the best possible recovery, best wishes for the future.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Live and learn.......
    I lost 1/2" of my left pointer finger many years ago when I had it near a power steering belt checking for a loose bolt.

It's a reminder to always think safety and listen to your common sense.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Thankfully, they were asked to patch for hand up and get it back on the road, so to say. But, I gotta ask, what makes "the dirty finger" dirty?

Wow. Thanks for posting... I think.

Can you show a picture of your setup at time of cut/accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick 135 View Post
    Wow! So sorry to hear. And, thank you for having the courage to share.

Something I can learn here, I think, being new to wood working but experienced around tools and equipment I am hyper sensitive to safety. The OP said something about a “gripper”. I think I have seen them online, the yellow micro-jig push block deals? I almost bought one but didn’t understand it’s use or it’s importance... can someone enlighten me? Right now I’m using push blocks and push sticks but am interested in any safety related upgrades.
    Jack, I love my Gripper but I only have one. Would like to get a second one as using two makes it safer for ripping longer boards.

This video should answer all of your questions on how to use it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6yx8fZaIEw
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to read of (and see, eek) your injury. Goes to show even good habits (normal use of Gripper and glade guard) sometimes go unrewarded. We all need to see the carnage occasionally as a reminder to use best safety practices at all times. Every time I see or hear of a push stick, I cringe. I won't use them, I use a push shoe that will hold the work down at the same time. Thanks for posting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-15-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post

This video should answer all of your questions on
    I noticed that the table saw seen in the gripper video was a sawstop.

Simon

A friend tripped and slammed his hand down on a table saw. That's when I bought a heavy duty overhead guard, and as soon as I could a ... well, you know.

But we all do careless things. I put my hand into a band saw, but escaped with no permanent damage except a little numbness.
    Sorry you weren't as lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick 135 View Post
    Right now I’m using push blocks and push sticks but am interested in any safety related upgrades.
    The gripper often (not always) requires the blade guard to be removed, and also some people do not like the idea that they are passing directly over a spinning blade in some of the cuts. It has its place though, and I use it also for resawing in some cases.

Push shoes like this (which you can shop make) are better than push sticks:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-1023...=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I noticed that the table saw seen in the gripper video was a sawstop.

Simon
    I think SawStop gave away a ton of those to YouTube content providers. These days most woodworkers learn the craft from YouTube.

Plus I guess its prudent to use something like a SawStop to develop and test your Gripper in case your new Gripper doesn't work.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Plus I guess its prudent to use something like a SawStop to develop and test your Gripper in case your new Gripper doesn't work.
    Gripper should test their products as you said on a sawstop, but they should show them used in a regular table saw, because that is what most viewers use.

I do like the presenter as he cuts to the chase. Many of the woodworking videos out there would take, say, 15 minutes to cover a subject matter that should not last more than 5 minutes, at the most.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-15-2019 at 3:38 PM.