Thread: Vacuum Chamber Recommendation?

Vacuum Chamber Recommendation?

I would like to try my hand at stabilizing wood. With the plethora of vacuum chambers on the market is there a recommended one? Quality over price is my preference. I already have a vacuum pump so just the chamber and fittings is all that is needed.

You might check out Turntex.com, Curtis Seebeck is well known in the woodturning community in my area for his chambers and "cactus juice" stabalizing resin. Charles Wagoner is a member of my woodturning club and also makes vacuum chambers you can check them out at conestogaworks.com. The size of the pieces you want to stabilize will also determine what chambers you want to consider.
    Last edited by Bob Vavricka; 03-13-2019 at 9:39 PM.

I would think the cheapest is going to be a flanged piece of pipe. Then bolt on gasketed plates at each end. You are only talking 14.7 psi so not much wall thickness is needed.

Most vacuum chambers I have seen/used have at least a clear top so you can control the amount of "foam" created when you first draw the vacuum and a lot of air is being pulled out of the wood. This is to keep from pulling resin into the vacuum pump.