Thread: Moisture Meters

Blog Entries

Moisture Meters

I just ran across my Wagner MMC205 moisture meter.
    I have not used it in years. I put a battery in it and it came to life.
    I am curious if any of you have and use moisture meters.

Blog Entries
    I have a Mini Ligno and I use it to check any new lumber that comes into my shop. Lumber that stays in my shop over time stays at 7-8%.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a RisePro inductive meter. I really only use it to check on some wood I milled up from when a neighbor had a tree cut down. For hardwood I buy from the dealer, I don't really bother.

Yes I do.

I have a couple inexpensive ones, but I don't use them. The shop gets so dry in the winter, that sometimes the MC of the wood is below what the meters read. Everything I get is normally kiln dried (at some point), so I assume that the MC content is about a month or two behind ambient for thinner stock, and about a season behind for 2" and thicker. The humidity changes so fast and so often here, that nothing ever reaches equilibrium. In the beginning of the week, outside temp was in single digits F, and very dry inside, now it is 43F out, raining, snow is melting, and indoor humidity has at least doubled.

Any VOM measures resistance just like a MM, or at least that’s what I’ve been led to believe. Also will read a thermocouple for temp in mA, handy if you use hot hide glue.