Thread: Help with Wood ID

Help with Wood ID

First time poster here. I'm building some cabinets for client who wants to match some wood furniture she has. I'm struggling to ID the wood species. Any help would be appreciated. See attached photo
    wood bench.jpg
    Thanks, James

My guess would be sweet gum. But I really can't see the grain structure and an end grain closeup would help a lot! It would also help to know the history of the furniture. Was it made local or from a box store? That would help with narrowing down a domestic or exotic lumber.

Hey Richard,
    I don't have any specific information regarding where the furniture was purchased. The owners are from out of town (New York), and the project is here in Boulder, CO. My contact is contractor. Here is another image I took. Hard to see end grain, but maybe it'll help.
    wood ID 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by James Hutchinson View Post
    Hey Richard,
    I don't have any specific information regarding where the furniture was purchased. The owners are from out of town (New York), and the project is here in Boulder, CO. My contact is contractor. Here is another image I took. Hard to see end grain, but maybe it'll help.
    wood ID 2.jpg
    Not sure but I'll take a swing anyway. Some variety of Rosewood with sap and heartwood? It is pretty for sure.

It’s very calico so I’m playing it safe and going with hickory.
    Let me know if I win anything
    Aj

Mesquite perhaps?

Nope, no help. I'm changing my guess to something exotic, maybe plantation teak. Picture from a screen shot from Google search, unfinished lumber. Looks like imported furniture to me. Those legs are big enough to hold a pickup truck!
    Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 10.40.21 PM.png

Looks a lot like some natural Hickory flooring I have seen. It looks amazing finished natural, but don't care for it stained.

I been using hickory for the past few projects, and while this wood has a hickory appearance, the grain seems a little different. Although, there are a bunch of different hickory and pecan woods that are all generally available under the name 'hickory'. Here is a bed made from Hickory - I think you have something else.

bed.jpg