Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Storing clamps

I too, stack my parallel clamps and pipe clamps outward from the wall. Each slot holds a different length clamp and holds 8 per slot. My "A" shaped brackets were made from 2 X 4 and 2 X 6 framing lumber with them made in the shape of a shelf bracket, but with a 45 degree brace underneath. Biscuits and glue were used for their assembly. I made a very heavy duty French Cleat system out of 2 X 4 to attach these to the wall using 3 1/2" screws through the French Cleat and into the wall studs. Each "A" bracket is also screwed to the French cleat board after it is positioned for the needed space from the adjacent bracket. 48 + parallel clamps in one place is very heavy, but then I also have about 20 + pipe clamps there too. This rack system was built about 17 years ago because I was running out of shop wall space and it has been trouble free since I began using it. Below the shorter parallel clamps I have places to store "C" clamps, "F" clamps, and band clamps, so my total wall space for clamp storage is only about 40" wide. My 2 screw type wooden clamps of various sizes are all clamped to the edge of a window frame. I only have about a dozen of them, so if I get more I'll need a bigger window. The flat aluminum edge guide clamps are all hanging in slots in a kind-of shelf bracket that's attached to the relatively unused 4' wide barn style door. The more often used 2nd of these two doors has two Workmates hanging from brackets on it, one above the other.

Charley

I too, stack my parallel clamps and pipe clamps outward from the wall. Each slot holds a different length clamp and holds 8 per slot. My "A" shaped brackets were made from 2 X 4 and 2 X 6 framing lumber with them made in the shape of a shelf bracket, but with a 45 degree brace underneath. Biscuits and glue were used for their assembly. I made a very heavy duty French Cleat system out of 2 X 4 to attach these to the wall using 3 1/2" screws through the French Cleat and into the wall studs. Each "A" bracket is also screwed to the French cleat board after it is positioned for the needed space from the adjacent bracket. 48 + parallel clamps in one place is very heavy, but then I also have about 20 + pipe clamps there too. This rack system was built about 17 years ago because I was running out of shop wall space and it has been trouble free since I began using it. Below the shorter parallel clamps I have places to store "C" clamps, "F" clamps, and band clamps, so my total wall space for clamp storage is only about 40" wide. My 2 screw type wooden clamps of various sizes are all clamped to the edge of a window frame. I only have about a dozen of them, so if I get more I'll need a bigger window. The flat aluminum edge guide clamps are all hanging in slots in a kind-of shelf bracket that's attached to the relatively unused 4' wide barn style door. The more often used 2nd of these two doors has two Workmates hanging from brackets on it, one above the other.

Charley

Here’s mine. It’s behind a door so keeping it close to the wall was a design constraint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

clamp rack

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Got these racks from Duluth I believe. Anyways, they work great for clamps ad save lots of room. I several for all my clamps.
    I have a number of these and they work perfectly for holding most all of my clamps. Very sturdy and secure.

I also have a couple of these to use for spring clamps of various sizes and smaller f-style clamps. they swivel allowing you to get the ones you need out easily
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Tobias; 03-17-2019 at 1:30 PM. Reason: sp.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Duluth offers those clamp/tool racks anymore but they are probably "out there" somewhere.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As a side note, how come your clamps are so clean and with no sign of glue anywhere? My clamps (being Bessey/Jet/Pipe) all have signs of glue somewhere.
    Once in a while I tend to clean them but still they look "used" and not brand new

Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

This is the one that I built. I also put a "hook and eye" thingy made of 1/8th aluminum sheet in front of each section so the clamps don't wiggle forward and fall off.

I previously posted (#30) but I am adding the source video that I used as my plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isFqZUPgHgI

Last edited by Paul Wunder; 03-18-2019 at 8:39 AM.