Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing clamps

Storing clamps

I have an ever growing collection of clamps which has outgrown the storage system I built for them years ago. I currently store them on a wall and want to continue doing that since floor space in my garage is at a premium. I recently got an email from Woodpeckers for their new clamp "rack-it" system which looks like a good solution for me. I hesitate to go with Woodpeckers only because I often think their products are very overpriced but so far they are the only ones to come up with this storage system. Has anyone tried it? Or does anyone have any comments on its design?

Thanks for the help.

Ellen

I have a wall of french cleats I find If i take a 3/4" x5" x 30" piece of ply with 2 pieces 6x13" screwed to it. it will hold 6 parralel clamps. so I add them as i need to.
    for f clamps I have a piece of 3/4 ply maybe 30" x 40" with a bunch of 3/4 x 2x 10" pieces of oak pocket screwed to it. If you lay it out raight you can get a lot on this.
    as for the spring and quick bar clamps I built a box 3'longx4"wide x6"deep. I have it hung vertically and can get a buttload of spring clamps up one side and quick clamps up the other
    I think the woodpecker product will be limiting

The Rockler HD clamp rack will hold 12 clamps for $40. Cheaper if you have a 20% coupon that they sometimes send out. If you are ordering online they always have free shipping on orders over $35.

If the studs are exposed on your garage wall, as the Woodpecker product page shows, couldn't you do pretty much the same thing with 1/4" pieces of plywood attached to each side of a stud ?

I took a piece of plywood an attached shelf brackets to it. Two brackets close together so that my clamp will slide between them similar to the Woodpeckers system. I can fit six of my parallel clamps in each set of brackets. I then spaced out several more sets of brackets, then attached the plywood rack to the wall. works great. Brackets are cheap enough.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just finished my clamp storage wall in my new shop, but am out of town so can’t get a pic right now.

I used Shop Fox metal clamp racks sold on amazon, about $35 for 3 racks of varying sizes (prices fluctuate of course on amazon). https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D433...x+clamp&sr=8-1

I like shop projects and all, but simply buying these and fastening to concrete was a lot easier than making them, especially since my shop isn’t fully operational yet.

I bought a 5ft length of 3/4" black pipe and hung it from a ceiling joist with some eye bolts. It holds about 40 F-clamps and cost hardly anything.

How many clamps do you really need? In 30 years of working wood and making cabinets and furniture of all sizes I still only have a dozen or so bar/pipe clamps, and maybe 2 dozen F-style ones.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    How many clamps do you really need? In 30 years of working wood and making cabinets and furniture of all sizes I still only have a dozen or so bar/pipe clamps, and maybe 2 dozen F-style ones.

John
    Gluing up multiple assemblies likes this area a daily occurrence for me. I've got over a hundred clamps and often have to glue up in multiple sessions for lack of clamps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Gluing up multiple assemblies likes this area a daily occurrence for me. I've got over a hundred clamps and often have to glue up in multiple sessions for lack of clamps.
    You earn your living doing this, right? I don't, and I concluded from the OP's post she doesn't either. But I could be wrong.

John

Just like its nice to have the right tool for the job, I like having the right clamp for the job.

Sure you could use a 36” f clamp to glue a couple of 3/4” pieces of stock together, but it’s nice to have 6” ones. Same goes for parallel clamps. Sometimes you need a deep threat f clamp. Sometimes you need to use a parallel clamp as a spreader. I don’t see any argument against having too many clamps.

All laying on skids, plenty of room now to leave them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You earn your living doing this, right? I don't, and I concluded from the OP's post she doesn't either. But I could be wrong.

John
    I fear that if I wasn't doing this with money in mind, I'd have even more clamps.