Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ladder

Use an electrically rated, fiberglass, ladder that will extend 4 full rungs above the roof needed to access. Slope of ladder should be about 4:1, height to distance from vertical.
    Don't think your self a sissy for asking someone to foot the ladder, or tie it off.
    I have a twenty+ year old, 24', Werner extension ladder. And a newer 10', fiberglass,Werner platform ladder, to clean gutters.
    I always store my ladders out of direct sunlight.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have an 11 foot and a 22 foot wing ladders. Steady as a rock. The 22 foot is too heavy for me to handle alone now, age. I worked alone many times and wanted ladders I could trust.. 3 feet above the highest point and tied off is the best practice. Working alone on a ladder is not a good idea. Wing ladders are expensive and worth every penny.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I bought a pair of fire fighter boots for ladder work. they have a steel plate in the sole so the arch of the foot is protected. Not all boots have that ladder sole.
    BillD
    They also prevent puncture by nails and other sharp objects .
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

For occasional homeowner use, you can't beat aluminum for weight and value. Fiberglass ladders are heavy and expensive, and they do eventually fail.

Whatever you weigh, get a Type I or IA. They will be sturdier.

In almost 20 years as a painting contractor, I HATED extending the ladder above the roof. I felt much safer stepping over the top of the ladder than trying to step around it at the edge of the roof. A stabilizer made stepping over even easier.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

San Francisco fire department still uses wooden ladders made by the department ladder shop.
    Bil lD.

https://vimeo.com/13190227

Blog Entries
    I have a light duty 16 foot aluminum extension ladder which is super easy to move, my go-to for changing bulbs in the stairwell and getting up on the roof of my ranch style home. If I need something sturdier and a bit longer I get my wife's grandfather's old 20 footer industrial weight extension ladder. I believe it is magnesium. Wide and heavy it does not wiggle, its round rungs are uncomfortable on the feet and one rung is missing to accommodate the latch mechanism so you have to watch your step when climbing. I have an 11 foot Home Depot Little Giant clone I keep with my RV. It comes in handy in both the straight and A-frame configuration. Then there is my nemesis, a lightweight wiggly old 28 footer at church I have used solo at full extension more times than I care to remember.
    NOW you tell me...

I'm just a we bit different... Years ago when I built my home I installed
    a swimming pool ladder to the roof of my home. It's permanently attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    I'm just a we bit different... Years ago when I built my home I installed
    a swimming pool ladder to the roof of my home. It's permanently attached.
    That is my idea also for my retiree home I am planning now...