Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Jointer is a Restoration Project!

My First Jointer is a Restoration Project!

Hello all, I am new to the forums and just wanted to share my latest find. I am an IT guy, but have been building storage buildings for years on the side to balance out the time I spend sitting on my butt at work. This lead to getting into more woodworking projects, which leads to tools!

I have been looking for a jointer for a couple months, but didn't want a benchtop or a 6". So, while saving up for a Grizzly 8" for about $1,500, I ran into this last week and it was in my garage by Friday night, after a 4 hour round trip.

It is a Delta-Rockwell-Milwaukee Crecent or Delta 37-301, Pot belly jointer. It seems to be mostly original with exception of the power switch box and the motor. The motor they used appears to to a good one, a GE Farm type motor 1.5hp, 1725rpm as the machine owner's manual calls for.

I plan on breaking it down, cleaning it, refinishing and painting to Delta grey with stripes on the Pot belly lines. The bed has some knockout at the cutterhead from someone forgetting to screw down the knife collets?, which a machinist from my work with years of experience with cast iron is going to fix. He said it will be slightly doscolored but a huge improvement.

While it's apart I also plan on replacing the bearings on the cutterhead and putting in a new set of knives. Anyway, this seems like a great site and forum and look forward to sharing ideas and learning as much as I can from the experts here!20190308_224919.jpg20190308_231932.jpg00T0T_1pZlWnFKD1m_1200x900.jpg00B0B_TmD2E0nkfp_1200x900.jpg

Cool looking old jointer.

Welcome Cory.

Congrats on your find. Restoration should be a fun experience. Keep us posted with pics as you progress.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Great find, love the base!

That looks like a serious power cord on it. Can you wire the motor 220VAC?

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Also think about just replacing the head with a Sheilx from Byrd. I know budget, but someone had to mention it. They would sell you the bearings too. Another suggestion is to put on a link belt. Looks like you need a mobile base for it too!
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

That jointer looks identical to a Delta 37-315. I think the cool cast base is the only difference. Great machines,I owned one for 7-8 years.Have fun restoring it,Mike.

Looks like a shin buster! I'd do a lot of checking before worrying about the paint. Are the beds coplanar, fence straight and true, any dip in the beds? All more important than the color.

how wide is that?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    That looks like a serious power cord on it. Can you wire the motor 220VAC?

Bruce
    It is already wired to 220 1phase. Already plugged it in and rn some boards, all seems well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    Also think about just replacing the head with a Sheilx from Byrd. I know budget, but someone had to mention it. They would sell you the bearings too. Another suggestion is to put on a link belt. Looks like you need a mobile base for it too!
    I may do just that. I only have $500 in it and had $1,300 set aside already. I hear it will take less time to replace the head than it does to change the knives! Not to mention quieter and smoother finish. The belt did have some slop in it which could probably be tensioned out, but think I am going to throw a V Link belt on it. A mobile base is already on the way from Amazon.
    Last edited by Cory Raymer; 03-13-2019 at 3:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Looks like a shin buster! I'd do a lot of checking before worrying about the paint. Are the beds coplanar, fence straight and true, any dip in the beds? All more important than the color.
    I took a 50" straight edge and the beds looked coplanar, no dips and fence was at a perfect 90. The guy was using it, but just upgraded to a 12" Northfield.
    Last edited by Cory Raymer; 03-13-2019 at 2:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    how wide is that?
    Bill
    The total lenght from end to end of the tables is 61".

One thing to keep in mind before you spend a lot of time and effort with it... I will tell you your future:
    You will want a bigger jointer very soon. First you will search for an 8” jointer, then a 12” and possibly bigger.

I also always question why people think they need a helical head on a jointer. After your jointer you’ll go to the planer right? One light planer pass on the jointed face will save you the expense of a shells head.

Seems like a whole lot of work to strip and paint that jointer just to make it look different especially if you might upgrade soon, which you will likely want to do. I’ve restored a number of machines and love the process, so I understand that you might just want to do it and enjoy it.

Does it have the four knife crescent head. With the goofy wedges?