Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw Recommendations 16 inch or bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Love my Hammer N4400 for an all-arounder ...
    Ditto.

17 1/2" wheels. Solid and reliable. Powerful (mine is 4 hp). Tensions a 1" carbide Woodmaster CT blade. Blade change is straight forward. Not the biggest resaw capacity (12"), but enough for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Both names in your post will be a lifetime machine. I have owned a Laguna LT18 since 2001 and have had no regrets. Plan to resaw some Walnut later today over 7" thick; this machine will power through with no complaints.

Very satisfied SCM/MiniMax bandsaw owner...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Necaise View Post
    Looking to get a bigger bandsaw than my old Delta. Looking for something 16 or bigger. Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions, including new versus new. I am leaning towards a MiniMax or Laguna..
    What is your budget?

I have a 14" Delta with riser but years ago I bought an 18" Rikon. I'm well pleased with it. I cut a lot of thick wood up to 12", wet and dry.

JKJ

Impressive saw.

$2000 to $3500

Blog Entries
    The Grizzly G0513 variants are great saws for the money. The MiniMax, Hammers and such are a definite 'next tier' and the step is obvious. I have run a G0513X for a decade or so and it does everything just fine. The 'next tier' saws are more refined and more solidly built.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Your CL has the best selection of bandsaws that I think I've ever seen. That 27" Centauro is priced higher than I've ever seen one, but also looks to be in really good condition. I have a much older 24", and it's a beast. I'm running mine on a VFD, and it's been trouble free. The same Italian factory that makes Centauro also makes some of the names heard in this thread.

I would also consider some of the higher end Grizzly's (like the 636x). I was told that these were made to compete with the European saws on quality.

Griz 531B 21" has been a great saw for my hobby use for 10+ yrs. Usually keep a 1" WM CT for resawing and now am doing more green turning blank prep so a 1/2" wet wood blade gets used a lot. Always wanted a sexy Italian model in the shop--couldn't find one used--Griz is 1.5hr drive--and I am pleased with the performance and value. The newer Griz models have higher resaw capacity in the smaller wheel sizes but there have been may times that the larger table has good to have. Good luck shopping.

I have the Grizzly G0513x2. It is a great saw. Lately I have been wanting with more resaw capacity. I am seriously looking at the G0701. Just outside your budget. I would also consider the G0636X.

Don't forget the Rikons. I have a 10-345 (18") that I really like. Given the chance to do it again, I'd probably go with the two speed model (for cutting wood/alum or steel)...

SMC members thanks for all your feedback. Selection made.minimax s400p - 1.jpgminimax s400p - 2.jpgminimax s400p - 3.jpgminimax s400p - 4.jpg

Congratulations! Very nice saw!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...