Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Price for PM 3520A?

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Going Price for PM 3520A?

I have an acquaintance who is selling his Powermatic 3520A, with an asking price of $3200, including an odd assortment of tools. Is that a reasonable price? I don't know when the A-series was sold, but it seems to me this machine is at least nine years old, right?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

They were making them in 2005 but don't know when they started. That price seem to high to me.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

A new 3520C (replaces the A), is just a right about $4000. It does depend on what he's selling with it. Two or three Vicmarc/Oneway chucks thrown in, then the $3200 wouldn't be too bad. But, by itself, that's a bit high. Me, I'd be thinking $2600 tops. Now if your friend is in need of cash, you might pay more to help him out.

I sold my 3520B for $3000 2 years ago when I bought my Robust AB. I had the PB about 2 years and sold it for what I paid for it used. All that being said the 3520A price seems high to me as well. Personally, I wouldn't pay much more than $2200 for that lathe. Like Tom mentioned if the tools are top of the line then maybe that would add a little but for me not much
    Last edited by CHARLES D Richards; 03-12-2019 at 7:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    I have an acquaintance who is selling his Powermatic 3520A, with an asking price of $3200, including an odd assortment of tools. Is that a reasonable price? I don't know when the A-series was sold, but it seems to me this machine is at least nine years old, right?
    Seems high, but the "odd assortment" of tools that came with it might make a difference. A few years ago I paid $3000 for a used 3520B and that was with the bed extension. The 3520a model is a fine machine, but I agree with others that somewhere between $2000 and $2500 would make more sense. At $3000 I'd probably look for a B model.

Ernie Conover said he tested a 3520B in 2005 so the 3520A is older than that. I don't know when the A came out but Ernie said " In 1996 my mentor, Rudy Osolnik, convinced Powermatic to build the 3520A, which was based on his Oliver 159."

Here's a similar question from 2012.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Price-Question

JKJ

For a bare-bones, no add-on's he's asking too much. ESS has been selling freight damaged 3520C's for not much more.

It does depend on what else he has, I'm not recalling from the FB post if Rick listed what else was actually included
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    The post included a photograph of "miscellaneous tools" which didn't impress me. The photo of the lathe showed it with a chuck so I assume that is included, but there's no guarantee.

This discussion confirms my feeling that the price is too high by about a grand.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Hello, what seller is (ESS) freight damaged 3520c for sale? Thanks, Roger.

It really comes down to location. Around here I doubt you could find that lathe used for less than $3k. If one did come up on Craig's list it would be gone in hours. I kept an eye out for about 2 years before I gave up trying to find a used one. The best I could do was find older Delta gap lathes with the reeves drive for around $800. Anytime something nicer or newer came up it was, like I said, either priced close to new or gone in a heart beat. That goes for pretty much all woodworking equipment around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It really comes down to location. Around here I doubt you could find that lathe used for less than $3k. I kept an eye out for about 2 years before I gave up trying to find a used one. ...
    If looking for a lathe perhaps expand the search area a bit. I pulled a trailer well over 1000 miles (round trip) to fetch the 3520b in my shop.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Roger M. Davis View Post
    Hello, what seller is (ESS) freight damaged 3520c for sale? Thanks, Roger.
    I am interested in knowing who ESS is also?

About 6 months ago a 3520B with extension went for $1450. I don't believe it was ever listed on craigslist. The previous owner was a woodworking club member that had passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    About 6 months ago a 3520B with extension went for $1450. I don't believe it was ever listed on craigslist. The previous owner was a woodworking club member that had passed away.
    FWIW I sold my 3520A a few years ago for $1400 without accessories except for a steady rest. It was a nice lathe and performed well.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If looking for a lathe perhaps expand the search area a bit. I pulled a trailer well over 1000 miles (round trip) to fetch the 3520b in my shop.

JKJ
    When I was looking I was searching in about a 500 mile radius. Farm equipment (like a turning plow) go for huge money here where in the midwest they can had for 1/4 the price.

I am guessing Equipment Sales and Surplus out of WA state