Thread: I am Leaning towards BM's Advanced for kitchen cabinets but have some ? and concerns

I am Leaning towards BM's Advanced for kitchen cabinets but have some ? and concerns

Hi I am updating my kitchen and am leaning towards BM advanced. I filled the grain on my oak with aqua coat grain filler and now to apply primer/sealer and wanted your thoughts on primer, I plan to brush boxes and spray doors and drawers. I haven't been all that pleased with the grain filler and was thinking BIN pigmented shellac because it probably sands as easy as aquacoat and easier to apply or would I be better of with a primer and if so which one? Ok now to my concerns about BM's Advanced I have heard many good qualities of it but the cure time is extremely long and was hoping somebody could share just how fragile and for how long would I have to baby this stuff? I read somewhere where some people recommending waiting 3 to 4 days before flipping doors over to spray the other side or they will dent is this true? Any feedback would be appreciated Thanks in advance Joe

BM Advance provides a very nice, hard surface once it's finally cured, but ti does have a longer cure time for sure. You can't rush with it. It's an emulsified alkyd finish that uses water as the carrier. Once the water flashes off, the finish cures like most oil based enamels but the tack time is a lot shorter. I absolutely do not recommend handling workpieces "prematurely". My recommendation is to spray the backs of the doors first, let them sit for a good day and then carefully flip them onto those "pointy" standoffs. Any tiny prick marks will somewhat disappear on the back sides. This will keep your total finishing time down, but don't even think about mounting those doors and drawer fronts for about 4 days to a week after completion. Full cure takes a little longer than that in my experience. The bottom line...don't rush.

If you really need something that cures faster, you can use something like Target Coatings EM 6500 tinted to your choice of BM or SW color and add the crosslinker for an even more durable surface. You can also top coat that with EM8000cv with or without crosslinker for a really durable finish. I used these products for my new kitchen uppers last year and am very happy with the results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim's got it right, although the cure time for Advance is at least a month, IME. It's really tough after it finally cures, but I would much rather use something with faster cure, and the products Jim recommended would be good choices. Other options could be SW's WB Polane 2K Acrylic or Sayerlack HydroPlus; however, they are available only in 5 gal pails.

BIN pigmented shellac primer works great under Advance. If you go with another product you may need to use their recommended primer.

John

So I was reading (which may cause paralysis by analysis) on the target products mentioned and was wondering what would be the best way to proceed as I previously stated I used Aquacoat(white) grain filler and I doubt I have anywhere close to a ff and the process is quite a pain in the butt and the stuff does not sand easily IMO so what do you think would work best moving foward HSF 5000 , BIN or something else also do you think I will need something between the Aquacoat and target products. I am still open to all suggestions and advice but I need to pick some product soon before the wife looses her patients or I loose my mind and I'm not sure what will come first! Thanks Joe

My suggestion is to contact Jeff at Target and ask for a suggestion on a primer that will cover your filler and also be compatible with the acrylic finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm wondering why you are having trouble with the AquaCoat grain filler. I haven't used the white stuff, but I have used the clear version and it was really easy. I put it on with a plastic spreader, used the spreader to clean it off working diagonal to the grain and leaving as little excess as possible. After it dried I used my ROS to remove any still on the surface.

I agree with Jim. Call Jeff at TC. I think the HSF5000 will work fine directly over the AquaCoat, but he's the pro when it comes to his products.

John

Thanks I give Jeff a call and its not that i am having problems with the aquacoat I just think a sanding sealer or shellac primer or the HSF 5000 would sand as easy and probably give me a more uniform surface with the recessed panels but I thought I'd ask what you professionals thought. In hind site probably should of lived with the grain since after the counter tops and back splash new doors and drawers were over budget but now I am committed and trying to find best solution to achieve the look I am after. I'm sure I will have a more than acceptable finish in the end but would like to gather knowledge with out over paying my dues per say, back in the day I would of grabbed my gun started shooting some lacquer and sanding probably had 10 coats on already but now with age and being unfamiliar with products I prefer to ask people with more knowledge than I and hopefully won't be kicking myself in the end. Thanks Joe