Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Favorite Spindle Roughing Gouge

What is Your Favorite Spindle Roughing Gouge

I have been using a skew for most of my spindle roughing and think I might want to try a roughing gouge. I don't have many tools but my favorites have been all Thompson or D-way and there is a huge difference in size and price between the Thompson and D-way spindle roughing gouges. Also, the Thompson SRG is out of stock, not to mention really expensive (>$220) and the D-way SRG looks really small in comparison to the Thompson (which explains the cost difference, I assume).

I guess I really don't need a SRG and my question is, is adding a SRG worth it, and if so, what size is recommended for medium spindle turning?
    Thanks,
    Tom

I do have a 3/4 SRG from D Way, but don't use it much. I use my skew with a peeling cut most of the time. I also have an old Craft Supply 1 inch SRG and don't use it much either...

robo hippy

I am NOT saying this is the best SRG, but my go to for heavy roughing is my PSI 2" SRG. Its cheap, its big. It has a lot of area to rough and that means less sharpening. I use a diamond card to freshen up. It dulls rather quickly, but I just rotate to a new spot and continue. It's big and heavy. Don't think it will break. I don't think it removes more wood faster, but since I don't have to stop and sharpen, I just turn turn turn........
    In my opinion, there are better places to plink down your hard earned dollars than a roughing gouge. It's a roughing gouge. No finesse. I also have a "small" 1" Sorby, which is really nice and cuts well. If I had new tool disease and had to buy one, either of those you're looking at are a good buy I would think. They both make great tools. I didn't think Thompson's were that expensive. 220? Ouch. I have Ashleys bottom bowl gouge from him and I think it's a SRG sharpened differently, it's really sweet.

The SRG is one tool that I think it is best to go cheap. I have a 1" PSI SRG and have no plans to buy higher priced one. Unless you to a tremendous amount of spindle roughing a higher priced one is justified in my opinion.

I will third the sentiment that a fancy SRG is not worth it. I recently upgraded from a 7/8" to 1-1/4" model and find it a lot easier to use, so my advice would be to get a wide one. I happened to buy the "cryogenic" model Hurricane sells but if I had to do it over again I'd go for a less expensive steel in the same size.

I have a 3/4 inch psi and 1 1/2" sheffield Leyland and I'll reach for my psi almost all the time. I simply use it for eoughingno shaping, no peeling cuts, no trying to get a smooth surface. That's what my skew is for. I equate it to my planes, I have a awesome restored stanley#4 smoothing plane, but my scrub plane is a no name jack plane that i grabbed for 10 bucks at the junk store. It's just for bulk removal, so it doesn't really matter what you use.

For those who do some production spindle turning, I disagree with the consensus above. I have a 3/4" Sorby SRG and a big one (1-7/8") one sold by Allan Lacer. The big SRG was not cheap but stays sharp and is my go to SRG, it will remove a lot of wood and/or leave a nice surface.

I have a Sorby and a cheap Chinese. They cut about the same and leave a nice finish. SRG's are easy to sharpen too. Mine are 1", not very heavy. If I had every other tool that I wanted, I'd consider a bigger, shallower one. I like the carterandsons SRG with the round tang. But, as others have said, there are better ways to spend your money: a good 5/8" v bowl gouge, for instance is I think one of the most versatile tools. You can rough with it just as effectively, and also use it on end grain. SRG never on end grain.

Depends on what I'm doing. I have a variety of but the ones I reach for most are the Thompsons. I have the 5/8" and the 1" (which Doug said he quit making.) They both have a 5/8" shaft so either will fit in either of these handles.

Handle_adapters_roughing2_IMG_6006.jpg

For smaller spindles I often use the 5/8" without putting it in a handle, using the shaft as a short handle. I like the profile since by twisting it a bit the sides work like a skew.

Otherwise, my favorite is a larger roughing gouge, don't know the name but it's shaped much like a huge forged continental spindle gouge. I can't even look or get a picture since I loaned it to a friend. Not only good for roughing, it is very controllable for cutting curves.

But for roughing spindles, I confess to very often grabbing a straight-edged "roughing gouge", a 1-1/4" skew chisel. Not only will it pare any square down to a cylinder in quick order, the skew is already in my hand when it's time to size and shape! Again, my favorite big skew is a Thompson.

JKJ

Yes the Thompson is expensive but you get what you pay for. It is my go to to round spindles and it stays sharp forever. I get a great finish off the tool and I will never have a problem of it breaking like cheap SRGs that snap at the end of the handle. I'll bet you could use this 50 years and not come close to using it up. Again you get what you pay for.

I hope to get the Thompson SRG at some point. For now I use a Crown (1-1/2"?) and it does the job well.

I use a 2" Hurricane most of the time, 3/4" when I can't use the larger. I really like the larger SRG and the Hurricane tool is a great bargain IMO.

I have an off brand that may have actually been made by Sorby but has another name on it. I have been using it a lot for 20 years and it still has miles left. I want a Thompson but this tool just keeps on working. I love a skew and use it a lot but I rough out my spindles very close to final shape with this gouge it saves my skew. If you go to YouTube and type in john60lucas/spindle roughing gouge. You will find my video o. How I use that tool. It's a 1". I bought a 1 1/2" on a.recommendation from.a friend. I never use it.

14. The one that is already sharp and/or not pissing me off at the current moment. 😁

I meant to post this youtube video I made of me using my spindle roughing gouge so you can see why I prefer this shape. Again it's a no name but I used it an awful lot and it's still has many years left.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8YYYYA-6jQ&t=16s