Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Your Favorite Spindle Roughing Gouge

If I want to rough with a SRG I use my 2inch Benjamin's Best (which is probably made in the same factory as the Hurricane)
    I usually use one of my D-way skews instead.
    The D-way SRG is a beast though, it's much more "robust" then the one I use (you can often find me and my wife helping out at the D-way booth at symposiums)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

John, saw the spindle roughing gouge link in your previous response. Excellent video. Actually watched and 'Liked' several other of your videos. Very informative, especially for a new turner like me. Thank you for taking the time to create the You Tube videos.

I also love roughing gouges and have several. You don't always need a new brand though--I stumbled across this at the same time I stumbled onto the bottom feeder gouge decades ago in my misspent youth. Simply grind a very short bevel on a standard roughing gouge much like a BF gouge. Good on the outside of any average wood, especially green wood, whether bowl or vase. Seems to be impossible to grab with it and produces great finishing cuts--it's a great bevel rider