Thread: Turntable Stand

Turntable Stand

My son has gotten into the good, old vinyl albums and got a turntable for Christmas. He asked me to build a kind of mid-century stand for the equipment and to display some albums. He found something he liked on the web, so I used that as a starting point. This is the result.

Finished_1.jpgFinished_2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks great. The “Jetsons” theme just popped into my head.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice! Is that end board attached with finger joint also? (am wondering... maybe you posted a question about options on these joints a while back and its great to see the finished result!)

Carl, I thought the same thing when he first showed me a picture of what he wanted!
    Last edited by Scott Brader; 03-12-2019 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Nice! Is that end board attached with finger joint also? (am wondering... maybe you posted a question about options on these joints a while back and its great to see the finished result!)
    Carl,
    Yes, the joint is a modified version of a finger joint. I had asked for joinery suggestions a while back and ultimately came up with this plan. I cut the joints normally and then went in and cut the inner face and the ends of the box joint at six degrees. I could have left the ends squared and trimmed them with a chisel, but cutting them allowed me to leave the fingers just slightly proud but still aligned with the opposite board so I could simply sand everything flush.

Fingers With Angles.jpg

That resulted in a six degree angle on the finished joint. This approach left me with lots of glue surface, so I expect the joint to be extremely strong.

Assembled Joint Front.jpg

Scott

I remember you asking about the joinery for this project...great job! It has "that look".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, my first thought was, "Looks nice but weak.". Then I looked at the second photo. Wrong. That's going to be plenty strong enough for nearly any abuse. Very MCM; very nicely made.

Vinyl records - perfect piece. You just needed to do one of those whacky cheruse finishes they often used back then.

John

Not my style, but I love the joinery...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nicely done!
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Not my style, but I love the joinery...
    Yeah, not my style, either, but that's what my son and his wife wanted. My wife and I tend to go with much more rustic or Shaker pieces in our home and that's what I'm most used to building. This project presented a couple of challenges that I enjoyed even if the finished piece isn't something we'd put in our home.