Thread: Laser Fume Extractor Horizontal or Vertical Filter Box

Laser Fume Extractor Horizontal or Vertical Filter Box

Hi
    I'm still redesigning my new DIY fume extractor. The layout makes sense for a horizontal air pull. Is there any benefit, restriction etc for choosing between a horizontal and a vertical pull. A horizontal box would allow a straight run until piping up over the roof. The box would be cheap paper prefilters, a hepa filter, and about 20lbs of carbon. Also, I'm paying $260 for a rectangular 12x24x12 merv 17 hepa. I think this is larger than I need but was told a nonstandard size would be even more expensive. Can anyone recommend a hepa vendor? And do you think I'd be okay going with a smaller sized hepa? 12x24x12 seems overkill. Thank you!

Hopefully this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Google for Quatro's hepa filter part no. F074

It is 15" x 12" x2" size
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

The picture tells me you're venting outside? If so an expensive hepa filter is a waste of money- my opinion- because for outside venting the main objective is remove the smell, that's what the carbon's for. Hepa filters also block a lot of airflow...

A decent $30 furnace filter like this should be all you need for outdoor venting,
    and may even work okay indoors...
    filter.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The problem is the exhaust is re-entering the building, I'm going to assume through an open window. The shop is a tiny 10x10 building so the exhaust sorta just drifts all around the building- it's not being swept away with the air current. Its piped pretty high too.

Thank you for the suggestion. Checking it out now.

What I can't tell from your picture is: Is the blower inside, or outside? If inside, IT'S the source of smoke in the room, because the blower casing itself is under pressure, and most blowers are hardly leakproof, and the outlet hose is also under pressure, any perforations or loose fittings is where smoke can leak out into the room..

If the blower's outside, then do what I do, which is just exhaust the air close to or right at ground level. My business is in our house, and there's another house every 75' away in all directions for 1/4 mile at least. In 19 years no one has ever mentioned or complained about my laser's exhaust. To be fair, the smells can be noticeable, but not intense and they seem to fade fast...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yes the blower is outside. I will see if exhausting low helps