Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explosion Proof Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    Wayne's references would be the most accurate answer Mike but off the top of my head I could easily say a 16" fan should be unnecessarily big. I have a variable speed control on mine and if you used one for your size space you could turn it down quite low I think.
    Well, I did not see CFM ratings for these, and 16" was smallest I think. Can it be speed controlled? That seems to be the key

EDIT: It says its variable speed. 3100 cfm. Yeah, I don't need tornados in the booth. Does it mean it comes with speed controller?
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 03-13-2019 at 5:57 PM.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jpi-d1633xv-a16

A bit of a price drop, includes shutters, is variable

OK, so to the poster who bought one, did it come with louvers, and speed control? Was there a back panel for filter?

I think you mean me. That Jenny does look like my fan. It came with a variable control but the louvers are separate purchase if I recall correctly. If I have some time to figure out how to post photos from a Mac I will let you see my setup. I built a box that sits on the external wall. Three sides are made to hold regular A/C filters to keep paint off the fan. Louvers are on outside of building. I keep sheets of foam in place of the filters most of the time for insulation. On the opposite end of the room I built in four HVAC filter holders to filter the incoming air. I will say it has been working great for the past year. Oh, and I also installed a PVC pipe through the wall down low to pass the air hose to pass outside air to my mask. That also has been nice, not only to have clean air to breathe but it is cool and my glasses don't fog up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hall View Post
    Would it blow dust and debris from the shop into the paint booth?
    Well, probably if I didn't close off the booth. also, I am using variable speed model. I just need to get the bad fumes out

Anybody ever use these guys? I like the table top booths. Got email in for fire hazard rating: http://jcmetalfab.com/

The topic of explosion proof fans etc is interesting. But at the risk of sounding dumb where is the evidence that not using such a fan in the hobbiest's world has ever caused a problem. such as an explosion. A couple of the first posters mentioned the need to create an environment of saturated air that would have the potential for exploding. Where is the evidence that this happens in a home shop with resultant fires etc. Yes you can point to regulations that are designed for environments we never create and possibly cannot even create. So I think it is time for real life proof, not the stuff that we heard from our sisaer-in-laws 2nd cousin who just happens to know that this has happened.
    Amazingly I read in one of our throwaway wood journals a respected finisher say that it does not happen. I have myself sprayeded ETOH at a fan in my booth, and obviously lived to tell of it. Would I do that with gasoline of course not. But gasoline is only to be sprayed into our car engine cylinders. Not our paint spray booths.
    As I said we should be making these decisions base on evidence not theoretical possibilities that have little resemblance to our realities.

The reason for explosion proof fans in spray booths and other potentially explosive environments is that you do not know when you have the correct air/solvent mixture to cause an explosion. If you could accurately monitor your air/solvent ratio and control your system so that you never reach that critical point, it would work as a safety mechanism. However, this is expensive and unreliable so regulations go the other way by eliminating potential sources of ignition so that you can spray whatever you want and not be at risk.

Explosion risk in home workshops is no different to explosion risk in industry. However, there are far more hours of spraying in industry compared to at home, so the frequency of incidents are reduced, they are not widely reported because there is no law that says they must be reported, and hobbyists tend to use products from the local big box which are strictly controlled due to the assumption they must make that they are selling to unskilled end users. However, this does not mean that the home user cannot create the condition for explosion. With all due respect, few of use including myself are qualified to say that the regulations are wrong.

Just because we have not seen something ourselves does not mean it does not happen. In my experience, explosions and fire have always occurred because of a control failure. This indicates that regulations are working, because explosions are not routine.

Here are a few incidents have occurred that I know of personally:

Explosion and fire in dust collector in home workshop - sanding nails in recycled boards caused sparks to enter the dust collector where the dust/air ratio was apparently perfect. No injuries and damage limited to collector

Fire in spray booth completely destroyed the spray shop - employee admitted to smoking while spraying. No injuries

Explosion in paint store aboard a military vessel - unknown ignition source exploded the entire store severely damaging the forecastle of the vessel with the loss of two lives.

Also note that unleaded petrol/gasoline is not very different to paint thinner these days. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Jim
    You must be remembering wrong. Asbestos containments are always set up with negative pressure, so the contaminated air is sucked thru HEPA filters then the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    The topic of explosion proof fans etc is interesting. But at the risk of sounding dumb where is the evidence that not using such a fan in the hobbiest's world has ever caused a problem. such as an explosion. A couple of the first posters mentioned the need to create an environment of saturated air that would have the potential for exploding. Where is the evidence that this happens in a home shop with resultant fires etc. Yes you can point to regulations that are designed for environments we never create and possibly cannot even create. So I think it is time for real life proof, not the stuff that we heard from our sisaer-in-laws 2nd cousin who just happens to know that this has happened.
    Amazingly I read in one of our throwaway wood journals a respected finisher say that it does not happen. I have myself sprayeded ETOH at a fan in my booth, and obviously lived to tell of it. Would I do that with gasoline of course not. But gasoline is only to be sprayed into our car engine cylinders. Not our paint spray booths.
    As I said we should be making these decisions base on evidence not theoretical possibilities that have little resemblance to our realities.
    I have been spraying NC Lacquer through a 20” box fan from Home Depot for 20 years. I put a 20” furnace filter in front of the fan. I use a knock down booth like the one described in Jeff Jewitt’s Finishing book.
    I was told years ago from an OSHA Finishing expert that I would be fine doing this.