Thread: Clearvue cyclone connects to Nordfab

Clearvue cyclone connects to Nordfab

I have a difficult time visualizing how to connect Nordfab duct to a Clearvue CVMax/CV1800. Anyone has this combination? Pictures? Thanks!

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I connected Nordfab quikfit directly to an Oneida Pro500 (or whatever the 5hp pro version was called). One piece of the Onedia was a flat rectangular to 8 inch round input port that was to be bolted to the cyclone body. I had Nordfab fabricate a custom adapter for me that was rectangular (same hole pattern was Oneida original) to 7 inch quikfit which then just clamps to my main Nordfab duct line. The cost of the custom adapter was reasonable and just became noise in the cost cost of the dust collection system.

When I ordered my system there was an option of an inlet designed for the Clearvue. I can't find the order form to upload but if you contact Nordfab they should give you the part number.

I've been corresponding with Clearvue. I was told that they can help order a custom Nordfab transition that replaces the rectangular inset of the cyclone. This is priced similar to the QF transition rectangular to round part. Alternatively, a Nordfab machine adapter can be used; it fits inside the round inlet of the cyclone and priced as a machine adapter 8 inch diameter. Base on my calculation, the price of either of them is as James said, "noise" in the total cost.

My problem is how to level out the duct run starting at the cyclone inlet (with a 11-degree angle downward bend) to the first wye branch approximately 6 feet away. I designed it in Sketchup. In order to level the duct run, the first elbow's angle varies from 15 to 22.5 degree depending on how the cyclone is installed. This is the thread with the Sketchup illustration of the duct design. The lady at Clearvue suggested 8-in flex hose. Not ideal but might be the only option given all the unknown variables.

The adapter does have a bit of adjustability before you caulk it. Not sure if views of my installation will help any but if you will PM me your phone number I can text you some photos.

Just lean the cyclone over until the inlet points to the elbow of the horizontal pipe. It would end up being between 6º and 11.5º off vertical and then you have a clean straight run into the cyclone.

You could also acquire a high quality adjustable long-radius elbow to make the odd-angle transition. I strongly recommend against using flex hose for this purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    The adapter does have a bit of adjustability before you caulk it. Not sure if views of my installation will help any but if you will PM me your phone number I can text you some photos.
    Allan, thanks. The PM function is disabled for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You could also acquire a high quality adjustable long-radius elbow to make the odd-angle transition. I strongly recommend against using flex hose for this purpose.
    Jim, what are you referring to? Do you mean the ball joint Nordfab make? I don't want to use flex hose, so, am struggling to figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Just lean the cyclone over until the inlet points to the elbow of the horizontal pipe. It would end up being between 6º and 11.5º off vertical and then you have a clean straight run into the cyclone.
    Peter, if I understand you correctly, this would cause the cyclone to be out of plumb. I imagine that would not be desirable for the impeller spinning rapidly at an angle over long period of time.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Hi Wakahisa,
    this link is to a pretty old thread of mine. It has photos of my DC setup. You can see how I angled up from the DC input to the ceiling using a pair of long radius 30 degree elbows

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t=#post2132965

James

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    Peter, if I understand you correctly, this would cause the cyclone to be out of plumb. I imagine that would not be desirable for the impeller spinning rapidly at an angle over long period of time.
    Yes the cyclone will be on an angle. It will separate properly and there will be no problems with the motor and fan not being horizontal. Look at all the DC’s that have the motor mounted horizontally that run for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    Allan, thanks. The PM function is disabled for me.
    Please become a Contributor that that will be "fixed"...six bucks.

Jim, what are you referring to? Do you mean the ball joint Nordfab make? I don't want to use flex hose, so, am struggling to figure this out.
    No, not a Nordfab...they only offer 30º at smallest angle it seems. You can use something like what is in this link and just do a little creative adapting to get it in the system with the otherwise quick connect duct system. Something like this can be manipulated in to pretty much any angle up to 90º. I had to use similar coming off my cyclone to get the inlet aligned with my ceiling mounted duct work just outside my DC closet.

https://www.oneida-air.com/ductwork/...-ducting-elbow

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...