Thread: The Grizzly Growler...this looks interesting

The Grizzly Growler...this looks interesting

Was just perusing the Grizzly site and came across this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...eparator/G0863

Seems like a good deal compared to something like the Super Dust Deputy and has a 6" inlet.

Tim, I recommend you check out two videos on Youtube by the Unemployed Red Neck Hillbilly. He does not recommend this piece of equipment.

Interesting. I'll give those a watch tonight. I wasn't considering buying it (saving up for a CV1800) but thought it looked like a good alternative for people doing the HF mods.

I think these are the two videos you referenced:

Blog Entries
    I think it is safe to say that any bolt-on separator is going to have a range of performance based on what your blower is among other things. Certainly better than not having one as long as your DC can take the hit on the airflow that a separator provides. Will it perform as well as a ground-up designed unit? Probably not . . . If I couldn't afford a cyclone would I add a separator? I use a couple of Dust Deputy's on a could of vacs and they are great compared to not having them. I tried various baffles and lids for a bagger I have and finally gave that up. The hit on the performance was not worth the separation for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I added a Super Dust Deputy XL to my Laguna 2HP dust collector because the Laguna did a miserable job of separating the chips and dust out. My filter was getting clogged on a regular basis. The Super Dust Deputy XL really works for me. I put it in front of the Laguna and it gets just about all the stuff going through the pipes. I get a tiny bit in the Laguna barrel, and an even smaller bit in the filter.

The Laguna is miserable and I'd never buy it again but I wasn't going to buy another dust collector. The Super Dust Deputy really works.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I can't help cringing a bit when I see his connection between the blower and his cyclone. A run of flex tube with some very sharp bends which is undoubtedly effecting his performance. That having been said, it's hard to determine what constraints he's working with in that space, could be the only way it fits into his space.

I must admit I had some concerns about the tube between the cyclone and collection bucket, since it's an unusual design. I've got the G0443, which is a 2 stage cyclone, which works fine. I do know it does not have the hole he mentions, and the cyclone geometry is different as well.

I haven't tried working with the tube removed, but the minor hit to performance seems worth it to keep the plastic bag down. The whole solution consists of two ports and a tube to run between them. In the bucket is a large steel baffle, which distributes the sucking around the bottom of the collection barrel. I can't imagine this setup saves any money, but I could be off.

The SDD XL works really well for me as well. My blower is undersized (it's a lofted Delta 1.5hp unit) but even though I don't have enough airflow to fully capture everything (I'm still working out all the kinks), the separation is still great. I get everything in the drum and virtually nothing in the filter.