Thread: Tires for a Laguna 16\Meber 400 Bandsaw

Tires for a Laguna 16\Meber 400 Bandsaw

I am going nuts trying to find Meber bandsaw tires with the underside central rib. That rib is intended to fit into a central groove on the wheels. A pair of new urethane tires wont stay in place on the wheels. The old rubber tires were epoxied and lasted for years until the rubber dried out.

I would epoxy the urethane tires but am unsure if epoxy will adhere to urethane. Anybody have experience with that?

The ideal situation still would be to find Meber ribbed tires. They must be available somewhere. Laguna is no help and Meber is unresponsive. Can anybody help?

Try Sulphur Grove Tool in Florida .I bought a pair of 20" urethane with the rib for my 20" Delta.

I bought one from Scott+Sargeant (UK supplier) for my Griggio saw, these are rubber with a groove.
    Very expensive postage costs to Ireland, so would probably cost quite a bit more to send to the USA.
    https://www.scosarg.ie/tyre-for-sp400

I would try Carter products first though.

I've heard before that hairspray is often used to bond urethane tires onto bandwheels
    Good luck
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 03-11-2019 at 1:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ballard View Post
    Try Sulphur Grove Tool in Florida .I bought a pair of 20" urethane with the rib for my 20" Delta.
    Thanks, Bob. Sulphur grove is where the tires were purchased. They were listed for my saw but did not come with the rib. I have an inquiry in to them now.

Rich,
    I was in the same dilemma as you several years ago. I think you really want the correct tires with the underside rib that fits into the recess milled into the wheel. I believe this rib creates an ever so slight crown in the tire. The only answer I found was to obtain the replacement tires from Meber. Contact them at http://www.meber.com/en/contatti-2/

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Rich,
    I was in the same dilemma as you several years ago. I think you really want the correct tires with the underside rib that fits into the recess milled into the wheel. I believe this rib creates an ever so slight crown in the tire. The only answer I found was to obtain the replacement tires from Meber. Contact them at http://www.meber.com/en/contatti-2/

Edwin
    Thanks for that, Edwin. I have been to the Meber WEB site but I do not speak Italian. Did you correspond with them in English?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boehlke View Post
    Thanks for that, Edwin. I have been to the Meber WEB site but I do not speak Italian. Did you correspond with them in English?
    I did. Google translated the website contact form, which I completed in English. Someone from Meber responded to me by email in English and asked me to select the part number of what I needed from an exploded drawing they attached to the email. From there they quoted me a price and told me how to pay. It was a little more cumbersome than an Amazon purchase. I don't remember the payment details but I think I did it online through Chase. Whomever you bank with may offer international payment capabilities online. All in I recall paying about $40 for the tires with shipping, maybe 3 years ago. Hope this helps,
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-11-2019 at 2:19 AM.

Finally got a reply from Meber. Price quoted for tires was $45.32 each and $70.25 for shipping. Ouch! Does that seem right? If that is really the case, I am done with these Italian band saws. and for all the help Laguna was, I am done with Laguna too!

Have you tried SCM/Minimax ?
    Those are ribbed tires also.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Have you tried SCM/Minimax ?
    Those are ribbed tires also.
    Tom
    Sent them an email tonight, will update with results.