Thread: Any "scrollers" here at SMC?

Any "scrollers" here at SMC?

I am working on a scroll saw project. I have been using Olson scroll saw blades and Pegas #7R blades. I am cutting red oak and have worn out a few blades. Are there any "Premium" brand blades of considerable difference beyond the two I am using?

Thanks!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,

Try Flying Dutchman blades. I've had great luck with them. mikesworkshop
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Ken,

+1 Good person to deal with and good products.

I use Flying Dutchman blades and they are very good. I use the skip tooth ones FD Polar on thicker oak 3/4" . On thinner wood I use the Ultra Reverse blades.

Is there a big difference between FD and Olson ...probably not. Biggest thing is using the right type of blade.

Mikes Workshop sold the scroll saw blade business to The Wooden Teddy Bear almost 2 years ago. I believe both websites still work, but you will get your blades from The Wooden Teddy Bear. Both websites sell the Flying Dutchman brand of blades. I found them to be superior for what I make (mostly compound cut projects). I wasn't happy with the same type Olson blades, mostly because they didn't cut straight. The cut was always biased, so feeding the work required doing so at an angle.

There is a forum for scroll saw woodworkers with some very talented members. 'www.scrollsawvillage.com. I'm also a member there.

Charley
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-11-2019 at 7:50 AM. Reason: removed direct link

I do a LOT of scroll saw work, 3d cutting and double bevel inlay. I also use Flying Dutchman blades (#5 polar) and #7 Olson Precision Ground blades. which I prefer for 3d cutting.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Ken,

+1. I need to qualify this. I was recommended these when I started thinking about a scroll saw and have used nothing else. I use materials like 1/8" maple through 3/4" oak. Their sampler pack (if they still offer it) is inexpensive and let's you try a number of blades to pick you favorites to stock up on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler