Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax FS 35 Smart

Minimax FS 35 Smart

Morning creekers, I recently started a post about an upgrade to a 12" jointer and in that discussion another member pointed out a used one on CL in my area. I wasn't actually looking for a combo as I have a 20" planer already but I'm looking for input on this machine. Have there been any known issues I should be looking for or concerned with? It would likely be used exclusively as a jointer so am I giving up anything in accuracy or functionality if that were the case over a dedicated machine? The current owner says it's about 12 years old and has only seen home shop use. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
    Mike

FS35 Smart is a very nice J/P and it sounds like that one has seen easy use. You give up ZERO in accuracy or functionality with a J/P over stand-alone other than about a minute of switchover time and the Tersa knives leave an excellent "finish" and have some advantages when you, um... get a nick ...because you can just slide a knife a hair to the side to "fix" the problem in the moment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You would be giving up table length compared to a typical jointer of that width. The tables on my older FS-35 are around 65" total. Most 12" jointers are in the 85" range, 16" ones around 96". Whether or not that's important to you is for you to decide.

John

I imagine you could put extensions on it, though.

I suspect that FS35 is at least 72" or so. Yes, they are still shorter than a stand alone jointer.

I've not found the bed length of my J/P to be in any way limiting to the way I work. While I might skim a board longer than 6-7 feet to "see what I got", when actually processing lumber, I break things down before I start working with it. But that's me and doesn't represent everyone else's needs or work habits. I have on occasion when working with something heavy provided additional outfeed support when jointing just because it made sense to do so.
    --

So I haven't been able to find out what these were sold for originally and at this point I have not inspected it but what is a reasonable price if everything checks out and it is in good condition?

When I have sold things, I priced them half of new price that I could buy one for now. Nobody has complained, and have gotten that price for things sold.

I have typically used the 50% of new and adjust for condition also. I just don't know what that new price was. Does anyone have an idea? The other question I have is in relation to the Tersa head as I have no experience with that style setup. My current equipment both have spiral heads which I do like but I'm reading that the Tersa head users are overall happy also. My dust collection is fairly good but will I have any problems with the straight knives?

Mike, I truly enjoy the Tersa system. It cuts cleanly, although isn't "quiet" like some spiral systems are. There are different metal formulas available relative to knives including carbide if that's necessary. They are two sided, slip in from the side and are held by gibs that are set by centrifugal force when you start the machine up after changing/adjusting them. As I noted, unlike with traditional straight knifes, if you get a nick, you can merely slide on laterally a little to clear the problem. With a wide jointer, you can slightly skew materail when you are dealing with gnarly stuff, but spirals probably do have the edge for extreme grain changes simply because of the smaller bite.
    --

I don't know the new price for that machine, but an FS41 now is around $6k mark (and up).
    I think $3500 he is asking for is a bit on the high side. I am happy with the Tersa knives. If I have a lot of wood to plane, I typically keep a set of blades on hand to do the "rough" planing and another set of "sharp and good quality ones" for the final pass to get a smooth finish. This is doable as knife changing can be done in 2 minutes or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoyt View Post
    I have typically used the 50% of new and adjust for condition also. I just don't know what that new price was. Does anyone have an idea? The other question I have is in relation to the Tersa head as I have no experience with that style setup. My current equipment both have spiral heads which I do like but I'm reading that the Tersa head users are overall happy also. My dust collection is fairly good but will I have any problems with the straight knives?
    It doesn't matter what the price of it WAS, only what the price of a new one is now. Sometimes used machines will sell for almost 100% of their orginal price, but that might still be only 50% of what a new one costs.

Straight knives might give you bigger chips with some woods vs. a segmented head. Maple makes bit curly chips that can plug my DC outlet if I take too big a bite.

I have an FS30 Smart. Check the tables well to make sure they are each flat or nearly flat. I bought mine new, however went thru a lot to make my tables flat enough to give consistent results. Aside from that, I use it for all jointing and planing without issue. I also have a Powermatic parallelagram that I purchased new for long board jointing. I have never had to use the Powermatic and it sits never having been used, except for the initial adjustment.
    Also, I got the mortising attachment and used it a few times. It works very well, but since I got my Dominos, I have basically no use for the attachment.

I think I paid in the neighborhood of $3700 for my FS350 new in about 2004 which was the direct predecessor to the FS35. That would have been a "show price", so it retailed for a little higher I'm pretty sure. SCM/Minimax doesn't make this size anymore so unfortunately, there's no new price to go by. But Sam Blasco or Erik Loza may remember the selling price as it's not been that long since the 350mm size left the machine range.
    --

If it was closer to me, it would be in my shop now, have been looking for one for several years. Unfortunately, there is a lot of distance between Maine and S.W. La, cost me too much to go get it.

I apologize for all the questions Jim I'm just having trouble finding detailed specs on the FS 35 Smart. The current owner states its running on a 30 amp single phase circuit. What size motor do these have? Im guessing in the 5hp range given the 30 amp circuit. Im going to look at in the next day or two. the seller seems to be pretty firm on his price so we will see