Thread: 1987 Altendorf F45 potential buy

1987 Altendorf F45 potential buy

Anyone with experience with a 1987 Altendorf F45? What to look for in used condition, worth $5700?

Also includes phase converter https://www.phoenixphaseconverters.c...er-gp15pl.html

Thanks Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Anyone with experience with a 1987 Altendorf F45? What to look for in used condition, worth $5700?

Also includes phase converter https://www.phoenixphaseconverters.c...er-gp15pl.html

Thanks Mark
    I looked at a couple last summer (both were 3k asking price) but ended up passing due to the potential issues with the phenolic ways on those machines.

We sold one of those over the winter. Same exact year,

Honestly it was a pretty great saw if you wanted to just square sheet stock. It’s phenolic was in need of replacement, it had been repaired at some point by a previous owner. Honestly it did not affect the saw cutting square but the table did have a hop in it that would be problematic if saying raining a dado or cutting a trench.

Otherwise the saw a fairly nice. The motor was beast as were the internals. The base and the sliding table were it built as robust as our Martin or my Martin but still much much better than anything new.

One thing I learnt when breaking the machine down to get it out of our shop and onto the new owners trailer was the sliding table assembly was ready simple vrs Martin. To bad about the phenolic or those saws would had been very desirable even 30-40 years later.

As Jared says, look for worn slideways. I have used a few of these over the years and that has always been the cause of death. Are you sure with the price? I would expect to drop a zero off that price. It's more than 30 years old. Cheers

My boss sold his for 2k.

I’d pay 4K for one in pristine condition “good phenolic” and all the original parts..

Ok 3k

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post

Thanks Mark

How would one determine the quality/condition of the phenolic ways? Is there a quick way to confirm if they need to be replaced and are they user replaceable. If they are good enough the saw would only see light use non-business use

Put a dial indicator on the fixed table and run the slider to check the table movement, up and down and laterally. Altendorf and Martin are the top of the heap but the phenolic way thing reduces the value of Altendorf. They use a dumb bell roller system rather than ball bearings. If the machine is lightly used or the sliding table typically traveled full length so the wear is even, the price is OK. Because they were so heavily built, many were used very hard, but if you find a good one, it will be a step up from most other commercial saws. I rehabbed a SCMI SI 16 which although a little lighter, ( still way heavier than most current saws ) is very common and used parts can be found. It is easy to add 1-2K to a used slider when you fix it up. Make sure the crosscut fence and flip stops are good as they are expensive to replace. Ask when the motor bearings were last changed as that likely needs to be done. I also look at the motor frame size relative to the HP or KW. Large frame motors last way better than small frame ( SCMI uses a 100L @ 9 hp which limits life - a 132 would be better ). Dave