Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever try using composite decking as a shop floor?

Anybody ever try using composite decking as a shop floor?

Trex, etc. directly on top of concrete? Anybody?
    Last edited by Jason White; 03-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.

You'd need a subfloor or very closely spaced joists for something like Trex...it flexes A LOT.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd think the seams would be very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You'd need a subfloor or very closely spaced joists for something like Trex...it flexes A LOT.
    I was thinking more like directly on top of a concrete floor. Sorry, I should’ve specified.

It would be durable, but fastening it down might be a challenge unless it's over sleepers/insulation and you could screw it to the sleepers. Most adhesives are not going to be overly enthused about holding this type of slick plastic fast, IMHO.
    --

It's slippery.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'd think the seams would be very annoying.
    Boy, I agree. Unless you have a way around this the seams would just collect dust, dirt, that one irreplaceable screw, etc.

I don't think that the seams would be the same as an outdoor application because you don't have to leave a gap between them for rain to fall though in the shop, but there would still be a recess to catch debris because of how the edges are eased. I have that with a couple of expansion joints in my shop and stuff does collect in there.
    --

I looked into that for the soffit on my new house. The cost was jaw-dropping.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan, in your geography especially, using composite for exterior trim is a good long-term investment because of the effects of moisture and "small creatures" on wood where you live. Yes, the initial outlay is much higher than a wood product, but you're not having to replace it prematurely. But that's a different situation than the OP's scenario. I suspect that a quantity of the material is available to him, so it's a good question to ask.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... I have that with a couple of expansion joints in my shop and stuff does collect in there.
    OT, but have you considered filling the expansion joints with something? I bought some flexible compound made for that (and cracks) but I haven't tried it yet.

JKJ

Of course I have, John. It's on "the list". You know...that really long one that is always getting longer and never gets shorter. Same goes for the divots from where I pulled out walls way back when. They collect debris nicely, too.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I looked into that for the soffit on my new house. The cost was jaw-dropping.
    I have seen Hardie panel made for soffits. It is about 2 feet wide with a 6" wide strip drilled like pegboard with 1/4" holes for venting.
    Bil lD

Trex requires a gap between boards, no different than wood decking.

Minnesota! Lovely place, but you do get some humidity as i recall. Fastening would I think be problematic and I would be concerned about developing mold/mildew between the slab and the Trex. Also, the profile of the edges and the gaps would be a giant pain in the neck. Just more organics to feed mold if in fact I'm correct on the mold.