Thread: What glue to attach UHMV platsic to steel ?

What glue to attach UHMV platsic to steel ?

As the title suggests I need an adhesive to attach UMHV to steel. I am rebuilding a table saw and need to fix the wear pads on an old style biesmeyer fence, the originals were arborite type stuff. I have the material for pads just not sure what type of glue would work the best.

Is the steel thick enough to tap threads? If so, I'd countersink screws thru the UHMW into the steel.

I realize the UHMW would probably outlast me, but it IS a replaceable wear surface. ...Make it easy on the next guy.

Probably rubber cement or contact cement; maybe some sort of automotive trim adhesive like 3M 03601, which is made for plastics.

I don't know of any glue that will work for this reliably. Technically, polyethylene is a wax. The West System folks have said that if you scorch PE with a torch, it will transform it on a molecular level, allowing it to be glued, but I've never tried it...I think I would try to use a fastener of some sort.

Glue doesn't work. The stuff is designed for everything to slide off it. Drill and fasteners are the way to go. Cheers

There is a glue for everything. I searched glues for UHMV and found a couple you can look into.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_...ing-System.htm

http://reltekllc.com/productlist/b45...empotting.aspx

Mike,

In line with Malcolm’s suggestion I would also go for fasteners. If you cannot tap threads maybe you could use rivnuts (a hybrid rivet that contains threads). I bought some at a fasteners supplier.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    As the title suggests I need an adhesive to attach UMHV to steel. I am rebuilding a table saw and need to fix the wear pads on an old style biesmeyer fence, the originals were arborite type stuff. I have the material for pads just not sure what type of glue would work the best.
    I don't know what UHMV or UMHV is. This might be an interesting read about bonding UHMW to steel.
    http://reltekllc.com/adhesivesforuhmw.aspx

This page has some alternatives.
    http://www.plasticgenius.com/2009/04...-adhesive.html
    I liked their comments on double-sided tape. I have some super thin double-sided tape that I suspect would work - I've used it on HDPE. One bonded to a smooth surface it's "permanent", almost impossible to get apart.
    https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-T2003.../dp/B006SJIA0Y

JKJ

I think this will work for you?

look into it first but for metal to metal it’s unreal!

86EC24FC-C569-4D4F-8F5A-178050FF659A.jpg

I've used double sided tape for this exact application with good results. I didn't think It'd work, and one did fail, but it stuck to the uhmw and not the paint. I should've cleaned it better I guess.

It's low stress, so it doesn't take much to hold it there.

Blog Entries
    Generally glue won't stick to it, but interestingly they do make "slick tape" which appears to be a similar plastic with a peel off adhesive tape on one side. So somebody found something that sticks.
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with machine screws and tap. I have this available and need to finish this today.

I've built several Biese clones. The first ones used "Formica" scraps for the pads, just like the original biese's did. The were glued on with regular contact cement. Later they changed over to UHMW pads, that are formed with a couple of studs that snap into steel. I don't know if you can order the pads separately anymore, but I have in the past. Look up a parts breakdown on a Biese fence. Being as how it's been several years, I can't remember what size drill you need to drill holes in steel, but it's not found in a common drill index from BORGs. Erepalcements has the for around $7.50 each, and you will need a total of five. Correct term is "Glide Pads." From several vendors, you can buy UHMW with fastening tape attached, if you want to go that route. Look for it as fence facing.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-09-2019 at 8:50 PM.