Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never say never...

Never say never...

Big news, both professionally and personally: I’m now with Felder. Since lots of Creekers are customers as well as friends, I owe an explanation. As some might remember, I left SCM Group in 2016. Without going into detail, my relationship with the Italians had deteriorated to the point that I needed to walk away. To be clear, none of this should affect anyone’s equipment decisions: SCM makes fine machinery and the people in Atlanta and Austin that I worked with are great folks as well as personal friends. Decisions made at the corporate level in Italy caused me to leave and when I left, thought I was done with the ww’ing industry for good.

Since then, I’ve done roles in business development for a couple of specialty architectural product companies that were good learning experiences but not solid long-term fits. After leaving the last company, there was some soul-searching and “what do I really want be doing?”-type moments. My wife, who always gives great advice, asked me, “When were you professionally the happiest?”, and the answer was, “When I was in the ww’ing industry”. The more I thought about it, the more I asked myself, “Why am I not talking to Felder?”. So, I began a conversation with them and after several months of discussion (both of us needed to make sure it would be a good fit), I’m proud to say that I’ll be handling sales for Felder’s Central-South Texas territory.

This is really exciting for many reasons. First, I’ll get the opportunity to work with advanced machinery such as CNC’s, point-to-points, and beam saws rather than limited to just classical/traditional machines. Next, I’ll have a fully operational demo showroom available to share with customers: Combo machines, full-sized jointers and planers, top-of-the-line sliding panel saws as well as big edgebanders, the CNC, etc. Lastly, everyone I’ve dealt with in the Felder USA organization has been awesome. That’s all way from administration to the US CEO. This industry makes it easy to demonize reps: Everyone knows someone who works for the other guy and so on. Honestly, this was my biggest apprehension about coming onboard. Would it be weird or awkward? I just got back from a week of onboarding in Dallas had a great time sharing notes and trading stories with the TX guys. These are folks who make you want to work with them both as an employee and as a customer.

Anyhow, just wanted to share this news. I’m super excited to be back in the industry and especially excited to be with Felder. I’ll be focusing on the advanced lines of machinery, so may not be very active on the forums but combo machines will always be my passion, so feel free to shoot me a PM if I can ever help. Take care and drop by the Felder booth in Vegas to say hi if you’re going to AWFS.

Erik

FCCE14ED-D6BD-4732-837C-12585AFA0613.jpg

Your wife's a smart lady. From your ongoing series of posts/advice here after you left SCM, it seemed to me that you missed what you'd been doing. Though we've obviously never met, from what I could tell machinery almost seemed like a passion for you. So I'm glad to hear you're back at it!

Best wishes on your new/old career!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

Great to hear that you'll be doing what makes you happiest. Life always has ups and downs, but knowing when to correct the situation is what is important. You figured that out with the help of your wife.

Sounds like a very wise decision! Congratulations!

Congrats on the new job!

Good choice. Do you speak any Italian?
    Bill

Good for you. I stuck with one company for over 20 years on and off starting as a teen. I can't say I was ever happy there but I had outside interests that kept me going. On the other hand I finally got fed up and moved from that huge construction outfit into the petroleum industry and a niche job there that was just the best fit possible for me. I know that nowadays folks move around a lot more than they used to and that's good. I have known men who spent 45 years punching the same clock only to die of a massive infarction in early retirement. Enjoy your life now.

Congratulations and best wishes.
    Chuck Taylor

Erik,

You married a smart lady! Doing something that you can put your heart into turns a job or chore into a career that you love!

Congratulations! Thanks for giving us a heads up.
    Ken

Congratulations!

Nice pic, and if you lean back and that saw is gone, check for my heels going out the back door with the saw in my backpack.
    Molann an obair an saor.

Nice to see you are back in the game Erik
    We all know you are passionate and forever curious about all forms of old/odd Italian machinery on this earth,
    whilst always helping folks with your knowledge.

I'll bet many folks might go for Felder machines now, as they know you are a genuine fella that will be there for them,
    and go the extra mile under any circumstances.

I wish you good luck and happiness in this new venture.

Tom

Congratulations Erik! Exciting times!!
    Please help support the Creek.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

- Steven Wright

Erik,

Congratulations and welcome back! Felder scored a big win. Too bad you're not up in the Northeast. I'd love to have the chance to work together again.

I just upgraded the SC4 Elite I bought from you years ago but sorry to say it wasn't with Felder, although I do love my AD941.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing you back here on the Creek.

Mike

Congratulations on the new job.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Congrats, Erik! Your generosity with your knowledge of combo machines, in particular, has always been greatly appreciated (by myself, and I'm sure MANY others). I'm sure your new adventure with Felder will be a great fit.