Thread: Trivial Spatula Learning Project - PIC

Trivial Spatula Learning Project - PIC

The photo shown below is my attempt to duplicate a spatula that belongs to a friend of mine. I thought it was interesting in that it laid flat without the handle touching the grill and the sides are slightly sharp. The original is an inch shorter in front and is made out of 14 gauge steel. My version is made out of 16 gauge stainless steel. The handle is Ebony wood. It's a trivial project but I learned a few things along the way.

spatula 003.jpg

Maybe not a big project, but it looks like it came out very nice. I like that handle-up design - unfortunately, with all the non-stick pans, I almost never use a metal spatula any more!

The spatula is mostly for outdoor grilling and is rather heavy. This was my first experience with Ebony wood. It dulled a sharp bandsaw blade quickly but was nice to finish, only needed buffing for a nice shine. Corby style bolts for fastening the handle were used for the first time. I might try making those on my metal lathe next time. Overall I liked the project as it was something that could be often used.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 03-17-2019 at 9:08 PM.

I think you did a great job with that, both for the metalwork and for the ebony scales. Beautiful spatula!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wish I had metal workingtools and skills. That’s a nice useful project Steve.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think you did a great job with that, both for the metalwork and for the ebony scales. Beautiful spatula!
    +1. And thanks for the tip on using corby bolts. I've only used brass rod previously.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”