Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Framing Nailer?

Suggestions for Framing Nailer?

Looking for a decent air framing nailer, non-commercial use. Sold my Porter-Cable years ago when I got out of the game, don't know squat about the newer stuff.
    TIA,

Rich

ETA Thank you mods, couldn't think of a good way to say it!!
    Last edited by Richard Jones; 03-09-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I have two - Bostitch F28WW - a real beast - rated for shooting 3.5 inch nails into concrete and/or wood. The thing really scares me. At 75 psi, it will counter sink 3.5" nails in 2x4 studs. At 125 psi, it will blow a 3.5 inch nail clear through a 2x4 and send it across the room. (found that out the hard way).
    I also have a 3 in 1 Harbor Freight 28* wire weld nailer. It takes the same nails as the Bostitch. I picked it up as a backup to the Bostitch. It works very well for a sub $100 gun.

The battery powered nailers have also come a long way. If anything ever happens to my air guns, I believe I'll take a close look at a Makita.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Paslode. The only nailer I use,currently have three in the tool trailer. I will not live long enough to have to buy another one. Only caveat would be look around the area you live to see what brand of nails are available. here in southern Alberta Paslode are everywhere.I would not hesitate to buy one in a pawn shop either,the rebuid kits are like $12 and it is not rocket science to do this yourself. Mike.

Go to a pawn shop, get an old green Hitachi.

2nd for Paslode. My air operated one is still good after neay 20 years hard work. Cordless one is trouble free too. The air one was the only one that will drive nails into NSW hard woods. Cheers

I doubt my use even counts as non-commercial, but for what it's worth I got Freeman because it's what CostCo's package deal had and it's been trouble free. (The framing nailer in the package is bigger / heavier than I like to use, but probably a lot less "bang" than a construction guy would want.)

BTW- check on nails for your project. I bought the smallest packages of galvanized nails Home Depot had, in two sizes to repair a fence, and I bet I've got more invested in nails than the gun. As the gun becomes a smaller percentage of your cost, you might justify a higher end gun....

My first one was a Hitachi. It worked excellent and I would probably still be using it, if it hadn't evaporated. I don't know what else to call it...it sure disappeared. I now have a Paslode air and it too works excellent. I think you would be very happy with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I second that

Hmmmph. Senco. I've had mine since '05.

Do not get clipped head. I doubt if they meet code in your area.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D.
    My first were Bostich, clipped head, which no longer meets code. Bought a HF 6n1 to do a handicap ramp job. Went thru three boxes of nails, and never a miss fire. But it is HEAVY. Several times a year, Lowes runs the Hitachi for $149, sometimes as cheap as $129. That's what I have now. It weighs half of what the HF does, and is a lot smaller.

Thanks for all the input, guys.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D.
    That continues to be a big debate.

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    These were definitely the best air nailers for framers. If you are not using it all day every day consider the Paslode gas guns. The early ones had issues but the newer ones with the lithium batteries run great and can drive multiple nails per second if needed.

I now use a Paslode and love not needing a compressor.

My Paslodes all run clipped or full round head Paslode nails with no problems. We used to use clipped and then code went full round ,but lately clipped are back . Alberta building code is confused at the moment. Full round do hold better though.