Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find router bit with this profile

Where to find router bit with this profile

I bought this trim from home depot and want to make a piece with a curve and same profile (to go around around entry way)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mulitiform bits are available at most of the many companies that sell router bits.

You may have a hard time duplicating that profile outside having it custom made.

See if you can find a flexible molding online that matches the profile, or has one similar that you can change that whole room to. Getting a custom bit made to match that will cost around $300. If you want to go the custom bit route, let me know, and I will give you the contact information to the company. Whiteside used to make one offs, but now only make custom bits in multiples of six.

You might be able to have a vertical profile bit made, as that would not appear to be something "standard".
    That profile was most likely made on a moulding machine of some type.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

It's hard to tell from the pic, but look here to see if one would work. Frequently, you can use 2 or 3 routers bits to get the final profile you want.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...168,69435&ap=1
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Just buy a bit that's close, and make it all with that bit. Baseboard doesn't have to be in one piece. Just make a cap for all of it, and not use the stock, one piece stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I bought this trim from home depot and want to make a piece with a curve and same profile (to go around around entry way)
    get twice the baseboard you need cut the profile off with some extra then rip the thickness down to bendable thickness lets say 1/8" make laminate the parts back on the wall with glue and nails

or depending on your radius soak the trim in water tor a day or two

or that profile I have seen in mdf trim moisten with water and bend
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    Do you know anyone with a williams and hussey / shopfox / Bellsaw moulder? Knives to match that profile should be under $150.. unless you mean radius and not an arch, in which case do you know anyone with a shaper? Same $ for knives

Mlcs

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    Did you try this supplier at https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_molding.html ?
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    It's hard to tell from the pic, but look here to see if one would work. Frequently, you can use 2 or 3 routers bits to get the final profile you want.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...168,69435&ap=1

+1, over the years we have replicated many,many shapes using multiple router bits in our router table, Also depends on how much you need? 20, 40, 150 feet would make the difference. CGG Schmidt in New Jersey works for us if you are running alot of the shape.

That's just standard base cap. All flexible molding companies will sell that profile. Kerf bend the 1x4 or whatever the base is and cap it with the flex. Why would you want to make more work for yourself?
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    That's just standard base cap. All flexible molding companies will sell that profile. Kerf bend the 1x4 or whatever the base is and cap it with the flex. Why would you want to make more work for yourself?
    This looks like it might be close:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flex-Tri...0158/202961536

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    $64 for 12' foot of base cap
    WOW!
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    $64 for 12' foot of base cap
    WOW!
    Cheap! Considering what you'll pay if you make the curved moldings yourself.

Cody,

It looks like the same base i have. I bought the Whiteside "specialty moulding" bit #3326. It worked perfect. Check it out on there website.
    Last edited by Tony Rodoracio; 03-11-2019 at 11:41 PM.