Thread: Another chair.

Another chair.

It's a mix of Ash, Cherry and Oak with some sapwood here and there.

Wow that’s terrible

A beautiful clean design, crisp, clean lines and soft flowing shapes.
    I am not struck so much on the different woods in the seat itself, i find that a little distracting, i would have preferred a single species.
    A great job on a fine looking design.

I always have some left over pieces of wood lying around so instead of throwing it away I make things like this chair with it. I then give it away so someone in my family or one of my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I always have some left over pieces of wood lying around so instead of throwing it away I make things like this chair with it. I then give it away so someone in my family or one of my friends.
    That's actually a good practice, IMHO, as it lets you work out ideas in a productive way and the end result gets used and loved. I'm liking the design here for the most part but I do wonder about comfort in the seat toward the back based on human anatomy. How does it feel actually sitting in it?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jessica,
    Will you marry me? I'm in love with the way you make wood work for you, scraps or no.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Beautiful work Jessica. I like the touch of whimsy you add to your "toss off" projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    I clearly need a different group of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Jessica,
    Will you marry me? I'm in love with the way you make wood work for you, scraps or no.

Bruce
    I wondered how long it would take for this to happen.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm liking the design here for the most part but I do wonder about comfort in the seat toward the back based on human anatomy. How does it feel actually sitting in it?
    The seat could have been a bit wider at the back but it's still comfortable enough. I will probably make another seat with the same basic shape and replace this one when I have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Jessica,Will you marry me?
    I'm already married

Gorgeous work and wood. Love the contrast and there's nothing wrong with some sapwood, at least in my book.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Your ventures are inspirational. The lines of the chair are complementary and consistent with the selection of materials. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Really like your work Jessica. Each piece is expressive and different. I am sure the wood enjoys being transformed in your hands.

I like the look of that chair, Jessica. I, also, like the energy you have. I especially like how you use the sharp angles to help define the curves. The curves are very nicely crafted. It looks like it may be a bit sharp in the middle of the sitter's back but I, also, may be misinterpreting what I see. ..Another attractive piece. Thanks for showing it.

Thank you for the nice compliments everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I especially like how you use the sharp angles to help define the curves.
    That was exactly what I was going for. You to be careful though not to go too far with it otherwise it's no longer comfortable. This chair was more an experiment than anything else. I will usually start on something like this without a plan. I have a basic idea and I look at the shape of the leftover pieces of wood and let them speak to me.