Thread: Size of dedicated space in shop for 5x10 CNC?

Size of dedicated space in shop for 5x10 CNC?

Hi All,

Trying and struggling to find this answer (maybe it's not as straight forward a question as it seems??)
    Approx how much space does a 5x10 CNC require (gantry style with ATC)?

I'm not yet a CNC owner or user, but I intend to be in the next year and I'm currently in the layout/planning phase of a new shop. So i'm sure certain models take up more space, but as a minimum estimate, would it be 2 ft on three sides and either 5.5ft or 10.5ft on the fourth side to load sheets? (can they be loaded from either the short side or long side?)

Thank you!
    Ian

We would have to know the brand as each is different

Jerome is correct...brand matters. For example, the Camaster Cobra 510's listed "footprint" is about 90" x 160" (Panther is similar, but has a rotary changer to the side) and then you need to add in space on the sides for material handling, maintenance, etc. Since you can move the gantry, you can load from both the end and from the side...I'm betting it's more typical to load/unload from the "short side" in most shops. That's certainly the case with my smaller 4x4 machine in my particular shop as I don't have much space to the sides.

This should be helpful for you to speculate on space, but once you narrow your machine choice down, you'll be able to get more specific for a given machine or machines you're considering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The main thing to consider is how many points of access do you want and how you intend to feed the machine. Adding a couple feet on each axis would cover most rack style ATC machines (not a gantry with a ride along changer) footprint but the footprint doesnt tell much about the space needed. An all around machine doing varied work I'd think youd want three sided access but a strictly panel processing machine could live with 1 or two or none (other than for service).

Pulling up various machines physical size is pretty straightforward but planning your workflow depending on the type of work would seem more of what dictates the space you'll need.

What manufactures are you looking at?

Most manufacturers will have a line drawing showing the machine dimensions, fencing, and light fences/pressure mats.

Our Weeke is a 4x8 machine, it takes up about a 12' x 15' area. One end is open for loading off the forklift despite the tech's reluctance to do so. Just the machine itself is about 7½' wide, and 13 or 14' long.