Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best material for workbench top

Best material for workbench top

I need to replace the splintery top of my workbench; 81" x 30". What is the best material to use?

Is there any reason not to use plywood with formica laminate?

Thanks

There are so many choices depending on what you want, need and expect from your workbench. Plywood with laminate makes for an easy to clean work surface for glue-up, etc., but the laminate tends to be brittle if you intend to "bang" on the bench in any way, shape or form. If this is an auxiliary bench, then your plywood/laminate is likely just fine and will look nice. If you use hand-tools, solid wood is a better choice and your work methods are going to dictate the design. Many folks use a plywood sandwich with a removable/replaceable hardboard top held captive by edge banding. Like I said...so many choices...and there is no one "best"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim - depends on what you will use it for and there is no one best thing.

In my shop, a laminate bench top wouldnt work well - it is slippery and brittle. For me, that kind of top is better suited to an assembly table. My bench top is made from face-glued 2x4's, but my bench is only 2/3 the size of yours. Some folks layer plywood or MDF, which might work very well for a bench your size. Regardless of what you choose, you'll want enough thickness and weight that the bench is very solid and stable.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My combination workbench / outfeed area / assembly table consists of two layers of 3/4" plywood that is screwed (not glued) together. I placed a sheet of hardboard on top that is secured with double sided tape and surrounded by a piece of modified oak trim. The hardboard provides a smooth and durable surface to work on and can be easily replaced once it becomes worn or damaged. The work surface is quite solid and I am quite pleased with how it turned out so depending on your needs it is something you can consider.

worktop.jpg

In his Workbenches book, for his Ruobo bench, Christopher Schwarz makes the argument that Douglas Fir is among the best benchtop materials based on a comparison of desired characteristics.

For a couple of my assembly work surfaces I used particle board (it was almost free to me) and then shellac. The particle board likes to soak in shellac and 2 or 3 coats leaves a decent surface.

Have also used cabinet grade plywood. 2x4's or 2x8's from the home store. One is a 'butcherblock' slab a guy bought and laminated to itself to double the thickness, then sold to me when he moved.

Even the top of my tablesaw gets used more often than I would like to admit...

Go to a commercial building remodel job and ask if they are throwing away any old solid core wood doors. they make great workbench tops. I've got several of them. Laminate covered ones also make a great outfeed for a tablesaw. typically school remodels are always throwing them in the dumpster

Are you replacing the whole top or can you cover it?

If the latter, hardboard may be all you need.

I loathe MDF, but it does make for a nice work bench surface.
    I'd just affix a layer of MDF over the current surface.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I loathe MDF, but it does make for a nice work bench surface.
    I'd just affix a layer of MDF over the current surface.
    I agree w Mike. Both the top and the loathing.

My workbench: For the top I used 3 layers of 3/4" mdf with a sacrificial layer of 1/4" hardboard.

my workbench.jpg

Hope the picture works,

Tim

A nice piece of 3/4" plate works well. Does not need much to hold it down. Easy to drill and tap to hold the vise etc.
    Bil lD.

I am planning a 2' x 6' workbench and I plan on using 2x4s up on their sides for the top.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A nice piece of 3/4" plate works well. Does not need much to hold it down. Easy to drill and tap to hold the vise etc.
    Bil lD.
    It really depends on how you work. I wouldnt be able to use hand tools on this top of benchtop.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I just finished a workbench/outfeed table using soft maple. In my area it's about the cheapest material available as well as being excellent workbench stock. About a buck a foot air dried, good quality.P1030289.jpgP1030288.jpg