Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: New shop build, the MBS

It's sad to hear that folks have troubles with the short fence for those machines to hold accurate settings. The one I have (different brand) is rock solid and even indexed with detents for common angles including 90º.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It’s been a busy fall. Here’s a lofting table in the shop basement, with the lines for a new whitewater dory.

25FCB2C1-E421-4E46-86DA-0AACF437CE49.jpg

and some Meranti hydrotek marine plywood I picked up in Denver.

4F487973-700B-416A-8FA1-EBABC317A46C.jpg

I decided to keep my PM66, mainly for the long gunwale and chine rips plus maybe for dados.
    A46B35D9-CF70-4E64-9797-22FBEB3639DB.jpg91FF999A-D9FD-4F9F-B7E0-49227EDF4422.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice you were able to height match the PM66 to the slider...it fits in there great for both its own utility and for the very solid additional support surface it provides past the blade on the slider to the right. Nice arrangement!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, that is a work of art from a shop layout perspective. ive seen the same layout a few times in smaller pro shops. Usually the 66 has a power feeder. Im impressed by the tight tolerances you achieve with the stroke of the sliding table(looks very consistent in its parallel travel to the 66) and the height of both machines. Your floor must be in considerably better shape than my own!

I keep tossing and turning on the purchase of a wadkin pkf. I need a third table saw in a 800 sqft shop like i need a hole in my head, but i could fit it in the outfeed of my KF700 like you did and i really wouldnt lose much space. I have a power feeder and tilting bracket on my machine, however.

Hi Jon, just followed your build from start to finish, shop looks fantastic!
    Giving me some great ideas for my coming build.
    Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Jay for you kind comments. I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas and advice here.

Owner looks quite pleased!

Owner trying not to fall off.

Jon — I assume you cut down the rails and the support table to the right of the blade on your PM66 to make it fit in that spot? How much rip capacity did you end up with in that config? It’s a great shop and layout.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Yes I did cut down the rails and table. I haven’t measured but I’m guessing it’s still around 36” or so. I do all wide rips on the slider. The cabinet saw is for long narrow rips of gunwhale and chine stock. Plus dados. Thx.

Jon at this point you could finish by yourself if necessary as all the tasks can be handled solo, though you may need to have the electrical roughed in. What will the interior walls be and the ceiling?