Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: New shop build, the MBS

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    No vapor barrier? Not required in your locale?
    Spray foam provides its own vapor barrier. OP has the option to use a poly vapor barrier on the walls if he wants...and yes, some jurisdictions actually don't require it. Given this is not a domicile, the rules may also be different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Spray foam provides its own vapor barrier. OP has the option to use a poly vapor barrier on the walls if he wants...and yes, some jurisdictions actually don't require it. Given this is not a domicile, the rules may also be different.
    As Jon pointed out, there can a huge difference between jurisdictions, which inspector, or even the time of day. Did they have lunch? Is the sun out? Are you wearing their favorite color?

Our home build had 2x4 stud wall, spray foam encapsulation, OSB sheathing, then brick veneer. Building inspector was worried about moisture penetration through the brick, so he wanted either house wrap or a coat of paint on the OSB exterior to prevent rot.

It struck me as odd ...this IS Texas, not the Mekong delta... but we hosed on a coat of oil-based (it's only money ...and can't hurt?). Then covered it all up with brick.

Jon, looking good. And kudos to your stone mason.

Yes, I know that, Malcolm. I was in the new home insulation business for a few years "way back". Inspectors are curious creatures sometimes. Let's just say that you could probably park a (loaded) cement truck on the top of our addition put on in 2008 because of all the "extras" that the inspector insisted on...an inspector that brought a very religious man (the mason on the job) to the point of saying some pretty foul language.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-27-2019 at 8:56 AM.
    --

I incorrectly assumed in a quality build such as this one vapor barrier would be used. Are there circumstances where a vapor barrier doesn't make things better? I understand it's code most places.

Apologies if I sounded preachy - - I was trying to reinforce your point to Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    I incorrectly assumed in a quality build such as this one vapor barrier would be used. Are there circumstances where a vapor barrier doesn't make things better? I understand it's code most places.
    Vapor barrier might always be 'better', but over-kill - - if a structure has foam encapsulation.

Jon,
    With the addition of the stone work, my attitude toward your build has just passed admiration and edged into envy. Are you doing the flagstones yourself? Impressive work, if so.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Vapor barrier might always be 'better', but over-kill - - if a structure has foam encapsulation.
    Exactly. One of the benefits of closed cell foam is that it "is" the vapor barrier. I'd be putting up poly sheeting on those walls myself to provide the same for the fiberglass. That's actually my personal "preferred" method of installing fiberglass insulation...un-faced with a poly vapor barrier...because it helps eliminate a lot of the "cracks" in the vapor barrier that you get when merely stapling the faced 'glas, even if you commit the mortal sin and face staple it.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    I choose to go with 1/2” SmartSide paneling instead of drywall, T1-11, or regular plywood for the inside walls. Mainly b/c I got a great discounted price (better than plywood) from the lumber yard plus I liked the way it looked and the primer coat color was ok with me. No extra painting which is about the only thing in the build I dislike (and also suck at). No matter how many hours I carefully mask w tape etc it never looks even close to a pro job.

Attachment 408060Attachment 408061Attachment 408062

I used the Blind Mark system for cutouts after determining that, at least for me, I had no feel with my RoboZip in telling panel from plastic box. Arrows were added by me, since the regular ones were way too faint, after messing up early once and leaving a hole in the panel above a receptacle
    I have that blind mark system, too, and its definitely handy for us non-pro electricians. The build is really coming along nicely.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Stucco finish coat. I saved the old El Rey recipe from our house, built 20 plus years ago. They kept telling me don’t expect a perfect match, but it looks to me like Bob and crew nailed both the color and texture.

278CB0ED-1A6D-462D-8CDD-15FCBC9A95AD.jpg

Then spent half a day moving dirt out b/w the buildings and opening up a water drainage path. Used a mattock, hand pick and spade as ground was rock hard from winter. Will cover w pea gravel around flagstones. Haven’t decided if I’ll set them in sand, as I was wiped out, plus wife and two neighbors came over and said the channel is too deep. Prob right but at this point I quit for the day.

8DA1B0D1-B649-4A12-9A39-AEC4A34731A5.jpg

Snow pushed me back inside so started putting in cabinets. Also put in the frame for a plywood storage area in the left corner. Tops are two layers of 3/4” MDF with several coats of 3x polyurethane, then trimmed w walnut, my favorite wood. Maybe a bit over the top, but, well I prob don’t need to explain to anyone here...

7494F42F-E83A-4B4A-A0DE-E45C08779359.jpg4FFBC039-924A-4CD5-8DF1-2F92C5F2204B.jpgFE929300-3681-4781-87D4-8F747C35C969.jpg90C998CC-4F6E-4F7F-8B22-720B83A2126D.jpg586019AC-3191-436B-BF64-947DF84BFD30.jpg

PS. Thanks for all replies. Appreciate your comments and critiques.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful stucco job and those cabinets are looking great. Do consider drawers for the lower portion of many of them...much easier to get stuff out than behind swinging doors just like in a kitchen. HD full extension slides are your friend!
    --

Blog Entries
    Wow! When can I move in? That's beautiful. I see you have the same old Makita SCMS that I do. It's a good saw.

All bottom cabinets except one, which holds my Festool 36, will be drawers. I’ll never use cabinets with pull out drawers again. I can get more in a bank of 4 or 5 drawers than a cabinet w 3 pull outs, plus don’t have to deal w drawer hitting door if it’s not opened wide enough.

Good plan, Jon. I made the mistake of a few "pullout" platforms in my kitchen island years ago and am still paying the price for it. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Wow! When can I move in? That's beautiful. I see you have the same old Makita SCMS that I do. It's a good saw.
    Frank, ironically I built cabinets for the dimensions of the LS 1212 which I think I’ve had over 10-15 years, can’t really remember. Prob my favorite shop tool. Never even considered changing it. Then just this week, I was given a present of the new Makita 1219 which I haven’t used yet. Really torn here. I’m looking forward to testing the 1219, which takes less room front to back, but more importantly is said to have dust collection equal to the Kapex. DC for my old 1212 was pretty much a shop vac after I was done . My plan until this point was to put a 6” duct up behind the 1212 and build some type of DC system like you see on many SMC posts here. More testing required which works out perfectly since next on to do list is build cabinet and shelves for battery chargers.
    Last edited by Jon Snider; 04-30-2019 at 1:24 PM.